Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded for a KFX700 and it needs some TLC. Can anyone help me with carb jetting? I can do the work, just needs some advice on what sizes to start with. It has the stock pipe and a K&N filter with no other mods that I can see. It wants to spit and pop and the pipes look to be tight. I am in Middle GA if that helps. Thanks:confused:

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
Is the airbox stock? No holes or anything in the lid?

If its all stock I would say your jetting will be around 140 front and 142 rear

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no holes....YET, but plan on it. So if you can help, advise me WITH holes to airbox

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea looking to upgrade that too, but yesterday has set me back a little

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm hearing alot of guys raving about the Muzzy ss pro. what's your take on a single vs dual exhaust

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I personally love the duals. I will always have duals. The best single exhaust is the Muzzy and the best duals are LTE's. Do you plan on going bigger with the engine in the future or just your basic bolt ons ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
basic for now, cause I'm also in the process of a frame off resto on my CJ7. I do love the look of the duals

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I always said I was just going to do the basic bold ons too. :lol::lol:

If you dont want to spend a fortune on your quad I suggest you leave this site before its to late. :p It too late for me, save yourself.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Yep, I'll AGREE with that!!!!! GO.....GO NOW......GO NOW AND NEVER COME BACK......
It's the only way to save yourself!:D
Ed3

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no doubt about it...I'm just trying to convince myself to just stay mild. I have a few things thay NEED to be done, before the WANT list.

I still need some help with the jetting. Any help?

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
no doubt about it...I'm just trying to convince myself to just stay mild. I have a few things thay NEED to be done, before the WANT list.

I still need some help with the jetting. Any help?
That popping is usually lean. Did it sit for awhile? Try choking the bike a little and see if it gets better. If so go up to like 150-152. Depending on where the popping occurs, you may need to raise the needles a shim or two as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That popping is usually lean. Did it sit for awhile? Try choking the bike a little and see if it gets better. If so go up to like 150-152. Depending on where the popping occurs, you may need to raise the needles a shim or two as well.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like its sucking air where the pipe enters the jug, but I don't see or feel a leak there. I changed the plugs and cleaned the carbs (spray cleaner while I was checking the air filter). Now the damn thing won't fire. I must have a bad connection.....I hope! The plug wires are shot, but WERE functional.

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Does it pop in the airbox or out the exhaust? Only when the motor is cold or when it is warmed up also? Do you have any idea what your elevation is? I can give you some better jetting suggestions if you can answer those questions.

If you are up to 1000' above sea level, the stock jetting would be 135F/140R. Set your air screws on the outside of the carbs to 2.5 turns out. Don't shim the needles just yet. If you have an exhaust leak at one or both of the heads, it will pop out the exhaust (been through that one myself already). If your valves need adjusting I think that can make it hard to start and pop also. Popping in the airbox usually means a lean condition or intake leak and popping out the exhaust could really be either I think as well as being from an exhaust leak at the head(s).

In my opinion, I would leave you airbox lid alone until you are ready to install exhaust. Then you can get it jetted right for what you have now (stock) and then re-jet it once you install exhaust & do the 12-hole mod to the airbox lid.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info. now come to think of it, it sounds more like its coming from the intake side. I will have to check the seal this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts