Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Carb jet in middle GA

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Bodawg 
#1 ·
I recently traded for a KFX700 and it needs some TLC. Can anyone help me with carb jetting? I can do the work, just needs some advice on what sizes to start with. It has the stock pipe and a K&N filter with no other mods that I can see. It wants to spit and pop and the pipes look to be tight. I am in Middle GA if that helps. Thanks:confused:

#11 ·
Yep, I'll AGREE with that!!!!! GO.....GO NOW......GO NOW AND NEVER COME BACK......
It's the only way to save yourself!:D
Ed3

#12 ·
no doubt about it...I'm just trying to convince myself to just stay mild. I have a few things thay NEED to be done, before the WANT list.

I still need some help with the jetting. Any help?

#14 ·
That popping is usually lean. Did it sit for awhile? Try choking the bike a little and see if it gets better. If so go up to like 150-152. Depending on where the popping occurs, you may need to raise the needles a shim or two as well.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like its sucking air where the pipe enters the jug, but I don't see or feel a leak there. I changed the plugs and cleaned the carbs (spray cleaner while I was checking the air filter). Now the damn thing won't fire. I must have a bad connection.....I hope! The plug wires are shot, but WERE functional.

#15 · (Edited)
Does it pop in the airbox or out the exhaust? Only when the motor is cold or when it is warmed up also? Do you have any idea what your elevation is? I can give you some better jetting suggestions if you can answer those questions.

If you are up to 1000' above sea level, the stock jetting would be 135F/140R. Set your air screws on the outside of the carbs to 2.5 turns out. Don't shim the needles just yet. If you have an exhaust leak at one or both of the heads, it will pop out the exhaust (been through that one myself already). If your valves need adjusting I think that can make it hard to start and pop also. Popping in the airbox usually means a lean condition or intake leak and popping out the exhaust could really be either I think as well as being from an exhaust leak at the head(s).

In my opinion, I would leave you airbox lid alone until you are ready to install exhaust. Then you can get it jetted right for what you have now (stock) and then re-jet it once you install exhaust & do the 12-hole mod to the airbox lid.

#16 ·
thanks for the info. now come to think of it, it sounds more like its coming from the intake side. I will have to check the seal this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.