Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Carb mod question

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Toyotadude 
#1 ·
Getting the V back together and thought I would do the mods on the carbs but had some questions. First of all there was a Dynajet kit installed before I got the bike and I didn't even know so I don't have the stock needles to re-install like some others have stated. The C clip is on the 4th notch and there is one shim on the needle as well. My question is should I change the settings on the needles and/or change the jets-either brand or size (124f/128r installed)?

As far as the carb springs go do you just measure 3/4" from one end and cut them or is there a more scientific way to do this?

Also I plan to do the 12 hole mod soon and have noticed most people who have done it have switched to the Twinair. Does this work with the K&N or do I need to change that as well? How far up do you generally jet up with this mod?

Thanks for all the help guys.

#2 ·
Found the info on here about the carb springs but I'm still questioning the needles. Also found out that HMF suggests a starting point of 145f/148r so I must be running really lean.

Any suggestions?

#3 ·
The biggest piece of advice I could give about the carbs is do not run dynojet needles or jets. Get stock needles from someone.

Order your jets from..,

Keihin Small Round Main Jets - Chaparral Motorsports

Once you do the 12-hole modification and you put these jets in you should be around 182f-185 rear with the dual HMF's. So plan on buying from about 180-200

The dynojet numbering system is different than the others.

#5 ·
throw away the dyno needles and just find someone with stock needles. throw a #4 washer under each needle , cut your springs, 12 hole mod, block off snorkel, cut damm out in airbox,:eek: 180F-182R and you are set.

#6 ·
I checked with hanlbarmonkey to see if he had any jets left. Will probably order some from him. Does anyone out there have any stock needles or do I need to go to the dealer? Could I use the DJ needles with Keihin jets or would they not work together? Thanks

#9 ·
I've seen that alot of people here aren't too fond of the Dynojets. I'm running their kit (it came installed on the bike when I bought it). I was running a bit lean so I installed a couple of Dial-a-Jets and they work great together. Apparently the secret with the Dynojets are the needles which have a different profile than the stock ones. I'm sure both setups can be made to work great. Maybe it's the difference in jet number sizes between Kehein and Dynojet that makes it difficult for some to make the Dynojets work? Anyway, I only wanted to let you know that the Dynojets are not junk.

#12 ·
Yeah I've talked to him. Just trying to finalize payment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.