Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I've had my 05 v's carbs apart several times this week and my problem still won't quit. Ever since I installed dynojet kit and put on the monster dual exhaust its had an issue with sputtering and stumbling at around 1/4 throttle from the front cylinder. I've gotten a lot of info from this site and checked out the usual things like the valves, dirty carbs, missing rice sized jets in the diaphram, shimming the needles, and sticky chokes and everything is good. Here's the thing, I covered up the intake on the front carb partially with my hand and it completely fixes the stumble at 1/4 throttle. If I do the same on the rear carb it dies almost instantly. What could I change in the front carb to fix the issue? Also, once past 1/4 throttle the thing runs great no problems at all. I've lived with the problem for a while now and I just want to get it running smooth around the low end. I have a k&n as well with stock internals and ignition. Live at sea level in sw FL. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,646 Posts
Did you try shimming needles or just read about it?

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts
First of all, are you using the DynoJet needles? You will find that most people here will tell you to take those out and put back in the stock ones and shim them with some #4 washers if necessary. I never tried the DJ needles but I guess there is a dead spot or something in the accelleration with them.

I didn't see you mention anything about the pilot jets. It may be possible that the pilot jet for the front carb is clogged and you are running on just the rear cylinder at idle. The reason why it would run OK over 1/4 throttle is that then you are using your needle & main jets and not so much the pilot jet anymore.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The DJ kit is way more problems than it's worth and do not work great with our carbs. I think when I was running mine I had the needles set at the 4th groove from the top and ran 140dj f&r The kit as it comes does not go that high so I had to buy an assortment from another member who also tried them. I eventually just ditched the whole thing and went back to the stock needles and never looked back.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Hey Brant welcome to KR----You can start a sig and list the mods already done on your V----What type of air filter are you running----With the Monster duals you;ll need more air flow---Read up on the 12 hole mod in the search.

Kenny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the clogged pilot jet sounds like a good possibility, haven't checked either one for a very long time. I was going to switch back to stock needles and jets anyway because I liked the throttle response better. What are some recommendations for the jet ranges I should purchase for dialing it in. Also, what's the best place to buy the oem needles? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
I buy most of my kawie oem parts at babbits Babbitts Sports Center | Arctic Cat OEM Parts | Can-Am (Bombardier) OEM Parts | Honda OEM Parts | Kawasaki OEM Parts | Polaris OEM Parts | Sea-Doo OEM Parts | Ski-Doo OEM Parts | Suzuki OEM Parts | Yamaha OEM Parts

Just select your model, then do the drop down upper right to select carb parts. Set of two is 19.00

Might be other places, but Babbits is pretty comprehensive. Cheaper than the Kawie dealer. But I buy stuff from my dealer just to support them for some stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,198 Posts
Babbitts is about 1 hour from my house. I just have my local dealer match their prices. What is crazy is that I have heard that if you go into their store, the prices are a LOT more.

For the needles, you might be cheaper just to get them from your local dealer so you don't get raped on shipping. Any place is probably going to charge nearly $10 to ship them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts