Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 that was running perfectly on a freshly re-built top end until this week. I had it hooked up to a battery charger / maintainer with a float mode to keep the battery topped off. It was on there for a few days. I went to go riding and it started right up per usual and got it loaded on the trailer. I got to the lake, it fired right up. Let it warm up a bit, took off and went about 100 feet before it died. No lugging or anything, it was like I hit the kill switch.

It was able to get it to fire up a few times after that but each time I barely gave it some throttle, it would die. Then the engine stopped starting up altogether, just cranks over like it's getting no spark. As I was checking the main fuse, I accidentally pushed the main connector harness (the one beside the 30A fuse) down on the connection (backwards) and it blew the main fuse. I didn't have a spare fuse with me, so I trailored it back home. I replaced the main fuse and it was back to cranking over but still wouldn't start. After a few more tries to start it, I get nothing from the start switch. I get the neutral indicator and other lights on the dash when the key it on, but no response from start switch. I was just about to check the spark before that happened, so I can't tell if it really lost spark or not. 😞

I'm wondering if the CDI (igniter) box is shot. I don't think me blowing the main fuse hurt anything, because it was back to cranking after the fuse replacement. Maybe having the charger on there too long or the fact that it was a Chinese model that really didn't have a true float mode as advertised? Figured it the key is off, no power would be feeding to the CDI?

I have a replacement OEM box on the way from eBay to replace the DynaTek that's on there right now. I'll have to see if that fixes it, but just wondering if anyone else has ran into problems with electrical issues after charging the battery while it's still installed in the quad?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the issue. Is was a loose connection between the left side handlebar controls down the steering stem. Just a connector plug that came loose. I couldn't see it until I removed the plastics. At least it was a simple fix and no blown electrical components.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts