Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I put a 15 tooth sprocket on my kfx 400. Today I went to change it back to the stock 14 tooth and when I was loosening the four bolts to loosen the chain, two of them locked up. I got the other two tight and the other two were locked up. I tried loosening the other two again and then they locked up. So now all of my bolts are locked up and I can't reallly drive it and I've tried kicking on the wheels and can't get anything to move. I was going to take the rear sprocket or the guard on the bottom off to see if I could get to the bolts but it looks like the bolts go in to some kind of enclosure. I've been riding through a lot of mud and water but I don't know if that has anything to do with it.... Anybody know what could be wrong?

·
Registered
447 Posts
you should be able to get at the retainer/bolts on the bottom of the swingarm well enough to try spraying them with some penetrating oil (PB Blaster) and letting them set a while. They should loosen up after the threads get a little oil worked down into them. If you get them loose, take them all the way out of the carrier, and clean all the accumulated mud and corrosion out of the holes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i just tried that and it was coming little by little and then snapped the bolt in half... looks like i could replace it with another bolt and nut though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did mine last night. The service manual specifiys an order to tighten them. I tried to experiment and not use the order they said, and i noticed that the bolts took alot more force to install.

The correct order to tighten them is 1) upper left 2) bottom left 3) upper right 4) lower right.

the bolts do go through an enclosure. if you take your skid plate off the swingarm and look underneath the swingarm, you will see these two metal plate looking thingys (pardon my explanation) The bolts screw into those.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. They finally came off and the threads on the bolt were completely messed up. I got all new bolts and nuts for them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts