Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Please for the love of god help me. Prior to changing the fuel filter, my 2011 brute EFI was cutting out at half throttle. I changed the fuel filter in the pump housing in the gas tank. Problem seemed to disappear over a couple SHORT test rides. Then last night i took a friend for rip. Machine had insane power for all of 5 minutes then started to backfire on decel and lost all power beyond about 25% throttle. Im thinking maybe fuel pump but it runs fine when cold and once its warm its total shit. I dont understand why heat would be an issue. Please educate me. Any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
It certainly could be the fuel pump, but before you dig into that, see if the fuel tank check valve has gone bad. When they fail, they don't function properly, and that causes a vaccum to build in the tank, which consequently affects the efficiency of the pump. Typically, it takes a minute to build up enough vaccum, which is why they seem to run fine at first, then crap out shortly after.

Try running it until it acts up again. At that point, shut it off and SLOWLY take the gas cap off. If there's boiling (bubbling) gas, let it settle down, then put cap back on and start it up again. If it runs good again, the check valve is your problem.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I put the gas cap on real loose to check that. No change
I've tried that too, but the cap still seals good enough even when loose to get the vacuum going.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
You can just remove the check valve entirely and run it to test. Just don't do it in a dusty place. You don't want dirt getting in the hose or tank.

·
Super Moderator
12,578 Posts
Highly likely it's the fuel pump.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've tried that too, but the cap still seals good enough even when loose to get the vacuum going.
I took the whole pump back out and cleaned it thoroughly. Problem disappeared for 2 days then comes back randomly. Im about to order a new pump. Can anyone recommend a solid replacement? OEM pump is like $600??!!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I took the whole pump back out and cleaned it thoroughly. Problem disappeared for 2 days then comes back randomly. Im about to order a new pump. Can anyone recommend a solid replacement? OEM pump is like $600??!!
Look at Rubiranch's post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ordered! Ill let you all know the results
Update: installed new pump and replaced fuel tank vent with a straight piece of hose. The machine runs close to perfect with lots of power, however once it gets hot it will back fire sporadically. It seems to get excessively hot but may just be me overthinking. I run the fan all the time off a toggle. Im curious if maybe i should look at getting a bigger fan and doing engine ice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts