Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a couple of weeks ago i went riding all weekend it did just fine note 4 days of riding the last day where doing some exploring and the battery died in the middle of the ride backfiring sputtering ect towed back to camp acouple of weeks later went out charged battery and started it it reads off the battery at a idle 13 volts but when you rev it it drops to 12.8 untill you back off the throttle now is the charging system bad or was that a freak thing happen note it has new voltage regulator any help would be apprecitated

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
how old is the battery, i had one to short out ,an it acted like that

·
Registered
234 Posts
Could be the regulator-rectifier, with low speed the readings at the battery will be near to 12v and when increase the speed the voltage will increase also near 14v -15v. Can be also the alternator output insufficent for loads. You have to check. Wich kawa you have? :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
also if its a 07 or older brute could be the buss conector beside the tank - filler that rotten off

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
its a 87 bayou 300 and the battery is brand new put it in before i went and i had a thought the petcock started leaking half way through the ride that day and could have gas got in there and messed things up with the stator

·
Registered
43 Posts
A working charging system should have the battery around 14-15 volts when its charged and the engine is running (Probably above idle on that)

If you're only seeing 12-13 its probably the regulator or stator, I don't think gas could have damaged anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts