Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard is it to change out the alternator on our bikes...??? adam took his bike up to our dads house this afternoon and they checked it out bc it was draining the battery and wouldnt hold a charge... found it wasnt getting anything back to the battery i guess... i was just curious how hard of a job it is to do.. ive got extra bottom ends i can tear into but was wondering what all was involved before we done it??

·
Registered
787 Posts
Willing to bet it's the rectifier, or corroded wires. The stator is easy to change but, you will need two gaskets.... water pump, and flywheel cover gasket.

The easiest way to tell if it's the stator is on the 3 terminal plug. With an ohmmeter, when you ground the circuit, you should have 0 ohms. Anything else and their is probably a short. Another way is with the bike running, each circuit should put out around 60V AC.

Testing the rectifier is a little more complicated, but do-able. I would swap rectifiers with someone else, if available, before trying to test.

As long as you are getting around 14V at the battery,with the bike running, then the system is working properly.

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill give that a try.... i have extra rectifiers laying the garage from parts bikes... so that wont be a problem... ill just swap one out first thing..
so your saying that if the bike is running and im getting 14 v then the alternator is working.. anything less and its not working???

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yes, when you put a voltmeter on the battery terminals, it should be in the high 13s lows 14s as far as voltage. Same way with any of the vehicles you drive, unless you have a high output alternator, which most people don't.

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
What kind of spot lights? You shouldn't need a bigger stator, but if you do, I think RMSTATOR offers one for our bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I'm going to bring this back up because I'm having the same problem and I don't know much about the charging systems on these bikes.

Just replaced a motor and now I'm going through my battery. I tried to take the terminal off to see if it would still run (like an auto) but it didn't should the stator run the motor without the battery?

If not what wires do I need to check to make sure I'm getting a charge?

I tested across the terminals of the battery and I'm getting 13.8 with the bike running. So I would say it's charging but my battery will go dead within a ride

·
Registered
256 Posts
sounds like a regulator to me. :)

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
is there a way of testing for that??

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Are you sure it's not just a bad battery that isn't holding a charge anymore?

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
battery will hold a charge just doesn't last long

Put a trickle charge on the batt today and I'm going to check it in the morning to see if it lost any charge. It's good right now but its like a tire with a slow leak

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Think I found it. I was checking wires and found my plug to the alt. was plugged in but not all the way where it clicks. I'm hoping that fixes my problem. Sounds logical to me.

Going to put a trickle on it overnight and ckeck it tommorrow.

Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Premium Member
6,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lonnie we went through the same thing as you... changed the regulators out, checked the charging system and all and it ended up being the battery was not holding charge very well.... replaced it and it seemed to be fine. i hate tracing down electrical problems on these bikes lol..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts