Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know our ranks are dwindling here lately, but I am hoping there might still be someone here who knows a thing or two about Prairie/Brute clutch compatibility.
My primary clutch is in need of new shoes, but I found an entire good used primary for less than the cost of new shoes+labor. Only issue is it's a primary off a 2006 BF 750. Looking up the part numbers and comparing them to my own (2005 P700), I see that both sheaves, the weights, the pins, the bushings, the belt, and the bolts are all the same. The only individual part that is different is the spring. It then looks like it's the different spring which changes the whole assembly part number from a #0065 to a #0064. Is this the case? I want to make sure this primary will work before I buy it.
Fwiw, a couple years ago on a trip, I borrowed a BF 750 secondary and a '02 P650 primary when my VFJ weights detonated in my oem primary for some unknown reason. The 02 P650 primary is definitely different from all other Prairies and Brutes that came later, but the BF 750 secondary seemed to look and work exactly the same as my oem.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think you answered your own question. If everything matches besides the spring then change that out and run it.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
As I understand it, the P700s share the same second-gen clutch design as the the 750 and the 650 Brute Force except for the spring rating. What I still have trouble with is that for all the riding you do, why go with used again. You know it's already probably 80+ percent worn out. Yes new is a few hundred...but you deserve it...and so does your machine. JMO

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I understand it, the P700s share the same second-gen clutch design as the the 750 and the 650 Brute Force except for the spring rating. What I still have trouble with is that for all the riding you do, why go with used again. You know it's already probably 80+ percent worn out. Yes new is a few hundred...but you deserve it...and so does your machine. JMO
Best price I could find for brand new clutches was $1150.
The used clutch has less than 1000 miles, and it's so cheap that I'm going to buy it anyway just for the parts if nothing else.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Best price I could find for brand new clutches was $1150.
The used clutch has less than 1000 miles, and it's so cheap that I'm going to buy it anyway just for the parts if nothing else.
800 / 824 at Cheapcycle parts. Still..400 more then I would have expected. I guess I would be looking at a used one too...lol

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
800 / 824 at Cheapcycle parts. Still..400 more then I would have expected. I guess I would be looking at a used one too...lol
Whoa, cheap cycle isn't very cheap! RMATV has the primary for $680. The secondary is $430. (Then there's sales tax with them because they are in Utah). If I went brand new, I'd get both clutches.

I found some brand new Comet primary clutches for Kawies for ~$350, but I haven't heard good things about them. However, they do look to be very lightweight......

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
I would seriously rethink buying a 13 year old clutch, unless you can try it first.
The physical size of the clutch weights changed in 2008; the 2008 and up clutches will fit the older machines, but if you have a selection of weights for the older clutches, those weights won't work in the newer clutches.

·
Registered
12,353 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kickstart, you just need to buy the team greenprairie on the classifieds listed for $5000 with only 100 miles on it...
Holy chit! That thing is one hell of a find! Who puts Elka shocks on a P700 and then DOESN'T go ride it!?:eek:
And I thought I'd done good finding an 8yo one with 700 miles!o_O

If I hadn't just put all that money into mine last month......

·
Registered
333 Posts
Holy chit! That thing is one hell of a find! Who puts Elka shocks on a P700 and then DOESN'T go ride it!?:eek:
And I thought I'd done good finding an 8yo one with 700 miles!o_O

If I hadn't just put all that money into mine last month......
I would be thinking long and hard about that one if I was you. Just sell yours, you are due for a new one and know what you like. Probably only be out $1500 or so if you sold yours...and then have a like new machine

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I would be thinking long and hard about that one if I was you. Just sell yours, you are due for a new one and know what you like. Probably only be out $1500 or so if you sold yours...and then have a like new machine
I like mine better than a brand new BF750, and I trust it 100% mechanically (I've taken damn good care of it). But on paper, mine probably isn't worth the ink my registration is printed with, lol! (20,000 miles on a 14yo machine that's been modified ;) ).

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like mine better than a brand new BF750, and I trust it 100% mechanically (I've taken damn good care of it). But on paper, mine probably isn't worth the ink my registration is printed with, lol! (20,000 miles on a 14yo machine that's been modified ;) ).
I agree on some parts but I just know how much you have been on here the last year fixing stuff. Unfortunately these things have a shelf life. I might be actually interested in this myself it’s so dang clean

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I agree on some parts but I just know how much you have been on here the last year fixing stuff. Unfortunately these things have a shelf life. I might be actually interested in this myself it’s so dang clean
Ride, maintain, fix, ride, repeat.;)

Go buy that thing!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts