Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the clutch is S T U C K on the orange chain drive... so, I assume my options are put the puller in.. and start beating it with a BMFH or take it to the dealer... Am I missing anything ? Figured I should ask before I get home, drink a few beers and get to work.. lol

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Did you put some oil on the end of the puller if not try that and then just put on tight as you can and use a Deadblow hammer on it and it should pop but the oil on the end has done the trick for me in the past.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
i had to take mine to a friends auto shop and have him buzz it off with his impact..it was no problem at 200psi..but mine at 100psi couldn't budge it.

The hammer thing never worked for me.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
I have done what BB has mentioned, Got the puller on as tight as it would go and used a large framing hammer and hit the end of the puller. Sounded horrible, but popped right off.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've done countless and generally a good tightening with an impact and a buncha taps with a hammer on the puller will pop it right off.

The other day I had one that took all a 1/2" snap on impact and 175psi could give it with hammering and still wouldn't budge... Little heat at the base of the inside sheave/clutch with the puller tight and it popped right off.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good. I have a bfh .. lol

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think I have had the worst stuck clutch... I've tried a badass 3/4" impact with a bunch of psi, a bfh, greasing the puller... What I ended up doing to pop it was the easiest thing in the world...

A badass ratchet and a 7' cheater bar. Just when you think the puller or ratchet is gonna break the clutch will pop..
Only bad thing is.. If it's as stuck as bad as mine was you might push the crank over a bit inside your case and it will be hard to start the first time you fire it up... But the crank will move back where it needs to be, hopefully.B)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Are you guys talking about the primary or secondary---I've not had to change the belt yet---But you don't have to go through all this to do it---Do you:hmm:

Kenny

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Primary..and sometimes you do.

Especially if its never been off before.

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, the bfh didn't do the trick... ugh..

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
try the oil trick, being incompressible, it acts like a hydraulic jack as you tighten down the puller

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oil trick? I put some grease on the end of the puller.. nothing...

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
prop the clutch side of the quad up, pour a little oil in the bolt hole and then tighten down the puller

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gotcha...

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Bigger hammer....Had that issues once.

Took a sledge hammer and a few taps. Clutch was coming off or the puller was going through the crank...lol

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Wish I had a picture to know what you guys are talking about.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Are they all this hard to get off???

Kenny

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Oil, and a 7' cheater... Guaranteed to work...

When you get frustrated enough, you'll do it.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
I deal with this all the time. Hammering on the damn puller DOES NOT WORK!!. the puller threads are connected to the clutch so all you do is just hammer the clutch onto the crank or end up moving the crank and walking it over.

if you try the breaker bar, you can snap the head off the puller. then you are fugged.

worst case use a TIRE BEADBRAKING SLIDE HAMMER and hit downward with the faceplate removed in by the spider.

I've done this probably 25 times, works EVERY TIME. it's like breaking a ball joint out of a spindle. You can't hit it directly out. you hit it from the side. but you can damage the fixed sheave this way as it will dent the shaft where the faceplate rides. but they aren't that expensive to replace.

John

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have a tire bead breaker.. lol.... I will give the oil thing a shot....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts