Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 kfx700
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchase kfx700 from a family friend that was the original owner. He stated he changed all the fluids before we purchased it. Had it about 1 month checked oil 1 time was fine. Got on today rode about 1/2 mile got on highway gassed it noticed it didn't have it's normal power bogged down and shut off. Pulled it back home checked the oil none on the dipstick. Put 2 quarts in it cranked up just fine at idle sounds great. Ride it and God awful knocking from the right side. In my opinion it's the clutch can hold the front brake gas on it slide the tire and no noise. Took the clutch cover off and I swear it coming from clutch even though I ran without oil showing. Did the belt test looks like I can push it down 1 &1/4". Only upgrades he ever did was a FMF pipe. What do I need to do or check first. Oh no idea where the oil went checked the air box none in there. I only noticed a few drops of oil coming from the rear differential seal.

·
Registered
630 Posts
does it do it at idle?
if so remove clutch and run at idle.
no noise clutch is bad, noise still, you need rod bearings or crank.

i would not rev without clutch on.

when our clutch went out. it rattled badly.

being 2 quarts low is bad.

good luck

·
Registered
2004 kfx700
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does it do it at idle?
if so remove clutch and run at idle.
no noise clutch is bad, noise still, you need rod bearings or crank.

i would not rev without clutch on.

when our clutch went out. it rattled badly.

being 2 quarts low is bad.

good luck
Does not have any noise at idle. So if it's the clutch can we just rebuild or buy a replacement?

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Let's use our heads just a moment. You ran it at highway speeds with no oil and it seized enough to stop running. It even told you there was a problem prior. What does your brain tell you? I know it wishes it was the clutch but your gut says different. No noise at idle "yet" but above is terrible. Come on...you know this....Yes..spun rod bearings. Better not run it any more unless you wany to risk buying a complete engine.

·
Registered
2004 kfx700
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let's use our heads just a moment. You ran it at highway speeds with no oil and it seized enough to stop running. It even told you there was a problem prior. What does your brain tell you? I know it wishes it was the clutch but your gut says different. No noise at idle "yet" but above is terrible. Come on...you know this....Yes..spun rod bearings. Better not run it any more unless you wany to risk buying a complete engine.
The prior problem.. is the oil leak on the rear axle seal motor oil? And if "I knew this" I wouldn't be here asking questions.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
The prior problem.. is the oil leak on the rear axle seal motor oil? And if "I knew this" I wouldn't be here asking questions.
Rear seals go out all the time on the KVXs and KVFs. The old style seal was a POS. Brute owners cussed them constantly...but they always knew when they started to leak. Problem with the SRAs was you may not know it untill the crankcase gets very low. Pull the swing arm and see how much oil is in there. Maybe it isn't the problem...but it's worth a look.

·
Registered
2004 kfx700
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear seals go out all the time on the KVXs and KVFs. The old style seal was a POS. Brute owners cussed them constantly...but they always knew when they started to leak. Problem with the SRAs was you may not know it untill the crankcase gets very low. Pull the swing arm and see how much oil is in there. Maybe it isn't the problem...but it's worth a look.
I don't understand. Why am I to pull the swing arm? Noise is not in rear end?

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
I don't understand. Why am I to pull the swing arm? Noise is not in rear end?
It was just to answer the question as to where the oil went..or if it even was the output shaft seal. The engine's fate is already sealed I'm afraid. nFlow can rebuild it for you...if it needs it..BTW.

·
Registered
2004 kfx700
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was just to answer the question as to where the oil went..or if it even was the output shaft seal. The engine's fate is already sealed I'm afraid. nFlow can rebuild it for you...if it needs it..BTW.
Info for nflow

1 - 10 of 10 Posts