Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Prairie 400 4x4. I need a clutch puller. I have ordered several and get a PCP 10 or equivalent. It does not fit. It goes into the outer hole on the clutch and stops at the threads. The threads will not go through the hole to where they should thread in. Maybe someone installed a different clutch idk.

Can someone tell me what clutch puller would be a millimetre smaller than a PCP 10?
Do you know what alternative clutches might fit?
Is there some other way to get it off?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have a 99 Prairie 400 4x4. I need a clutch puller. I have ordered several and get a PCP 10 or equivalent. It does not fit. It goes into the outer hole on the clutch and stops at the threads. The threads will not go through the hole to where they should thread in. Maybe someone installed a different clutch idk.

Can someone tell me what clutch puller would be a millimetre smaller than a PCP 10?
Do you know what alternative clutches might fit?
Is there some other way to get it off? View attachment 76679 View attachment 76680
I have a puller but cant look at it tonight. As I recall, the puller threads have to be threaded into the clutch until the end of puller contacts the crankshaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct. My problem is that the puller that its supposed to work on my atv is too big. I'm hoping that someone can identify the clutch that is on my atv so that I can get the correct puller. Tell me what puller is one millimetre smaller than a pcp 10 or tell me another way to get it off.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Watch this video. It looks like you need to remove that metal washer piece on the outside of the hole in your clutch. There should be a washer and a metal sleeve type washer on the bolt that holds your clutch on.
kawasaki prairie 400 clutch removal - Google Search

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watch this video. It looks like you need to remove that metal washer piece on the outside of the hole in your clutch. There should be a washer and a metal sleeve type washer on the bolt that holds your clutch on.
kawasaki prairie 400 clutch removal - Google Search
I removed the bolt and two washers. I think all that is left is clutch. Maybe someone used an aftermarket clutch or forced the wrong one on. Idk but the clutch puller is too big and I can't get it off. It has 09 and 231 stamped on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Here's a question: Why does yours look like it still has the washers or pressure bushing on it where the one in the video does not. Here's a side by side. I also looked up the puller and it takes the same one for the old 300s all the way to 750s.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
And when you do use that puller, never use it without first placing a dab of grease on the very tip and threads. Doesn't take much..but they can F'up without it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nmkawirider I think you may be correct here but I'm still not sure how to get that sleeve off. I tried pulling the clutch back and tapping it with a hammer. No luck so far.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
#92200. Its a centering washer to hold the retainer bolt in the center when torquing. Its should fall right out unless someone has over tightened the retainer or it is damaged in some way. Tap it out and repair or replace it if necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are 100% right. I got the washer off with a chisel and hammer. Greased the puller and cranked it down as far as my impact would go. The puller warped. I returned the good one that I had. I'll try again another day. Thanks so much for your help.

·
Registered
195 Posts
PCP 10 is what worked on my 2000 400 4x4.
The washer thing on mine came right out. The bushing or whatever it is called does not come out of mine, easily anyway, I have not tried to remove it.
That bushing goes all the way down to the threads on inside of clutch which puller threads into, which is approx 2 5/8” from outside of my seated bushing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You should be able to use the water removal method to pull the clutch.

Get a bolt with same threads as puller. If your current puller threads into clutch and is no longer usable because the tip is bent, maybe you can cut the tip of puller off and use that rather than buying a mid grade bolt.

Then get yourself some thread wrap tape. The plumbing type works and I heard the natural gas type tape works better. If using the plumbing type, you will just have to wrap the puller bolt many more raps.

Tip atv on left side so clutch is up. Fill hole with water. Insert thread wrapped bolt and hand thread it in as far as you can. I would say at least 4-6 turns to make sure there is enough thread contact, then using a suitable wrench, tighten as quick as you can and the hydraulic pressure should pop the clutch off. An air impact like used on car lug nuts works great.

If water leaks out too fast, remove bolt, wrap again, refill with water and give it another try.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Get yourself the EPI clutch puller bolt. Those knockoff ones are absolute garbage. Get the proper bolt, grease up the end and run it in there with an impact. If it doesn't pop off right away, tap the end of the puller bolt with a hammer a few times.

Reactions: Enigma

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you to everyone who replied and helped with this. I tried the water method and it didn't work for me. I ordered a EPI PCP 10 and I am waiting for it to come in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is an update for anyone who may come here looking for answers. I tipped the engine on its side and shot PB blaster in it. When the EPI PCP 10 came in I greased the end and threads and screwed it in with an impact. The clutch popped off. Thank you everyone who replied and helped me.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Just make damn-sure all that PB is gone when you re-install it. No film of any kind can be between the two surfaces...not even fingerprint oils. Otherwise it will spin and go on too far.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts