Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Clutch Spring Opinions - What have you used?

5K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  T_Dilley 
#1 ·
I have a bunch of clutch springs that I will be trying out this coming spring once I get my 730 (green V) dialed in. I have just talked to VFJ about the springs listed here but I wanted to get your opinions on them as well. In addition, I have just bought a set of Dalton 57g weights but I am getting differing opinions on using those. VFJ told me that they were too heavy and would cause my V to shift too fast. When I talked to Dalton on the phone today, I was told that using two of the 57g weights might work real good. I am not sure who it was that I talked to.

I run dunes, sand drags, trails, and hopefully some ice. I mainly want a spring that will be the quickest in 500' on sand with my 25" 10-paddle Extremes. What ever that setup is will be used for the other types of terrain as well because I don't want to change springs all the time. My trail tires are 22" Mud Machines if that matters to anybody. I currently run the EPI Almond and I like it but I am always looking for some more.... just as EVERYONE here is. :lol: I have no experience with any of these springs other than the Almond.

I have the following springs:
EPI Almond
Dalton Orange/Blue
Dalton Amber
(VFJ's choice)
Comet White

What is your experience with the springs listed and what did it do for you (such as had stall but trailable, was flat after 200', etc)?

See less See more
#4 ·
I might. Let me think about it. I haven't even used it yet. It is still brand new. :lol:

#3 ·
I have read that the Dalton Orange/Blue is best for sand. I didn't care for it. I was running it with two 56 gram weights though.

#5 ·
I like the comet black for sand racing,stock V weights it stalls at 3000 rpm.I used the almond for grass drags with stock tires and really liked it.Now i run 25in turf tamers on the grass and leave the comet black in.I made my fastest times with the comet black also.I think shift out was around 7600 if my memory is working

#9 ·
The spring tension numbers on the Comet springs don't match up with the way the Kawie springs are measured. From what I can tell comparing the Comet numbers for the Black and the White, the White has 30% higher engagement pretension (stall) and 6% lower shift tension (shiftout). That might be too much stall unless I use my EPI spacer.

ive got a polaris white, does good but power falls off. thats my dislike, id like to try a hotseat violet, shiftout is like 256!
The Polaris White and Comet White aren't the same spring.

Dalton O/B VS EPI Pink / with Stage3VFJ with 55Gram weights

Dalton had way more low end power and seemed to hold it's power longer. I mostly ride trails and woods. The O/B made a huge difference in corner to corner power. I've been told to try the Almond but have not yet.
This is the kind of information I am looking for. I had read on here that some people think the O/B runs flat after about 200'. I will probably have to find out for myself.

This Dalton Amber spring that I have looks pretty interesting. It is kind of like a dual-rate spring. The coils are tighter at the ends than they are in the middle. It has a stall/shiftout number are 10/189. When I try that one, I may use a couple of shims to bring the stall up just a little also.

#6 ·
I had VFJ do my clutch over the holidays and he recomended the HPD plain spring. I play mostly in the sand and run 24" xtremes. He said the HPD spring works geat in the sand and for hills.

#7 ·
ive got a polaris white, does good but power falls off. thats my dislike, id like to try a hotseat violet, shiftout is like 256!

#8 ·
Dalton O/B VS EPI Pink / with Stage3VFJ with 55Gram weights

Dalton had way more low end power and seemed to hold it's power longer. I mostly ride trails and woods. The O/B made a huge difference in corner to corner power. I've been told to try the Almond but have not yet.

#10 ·
i know the polaris/comet are different. i believe its the polaris thats in there. previous owner claimed it was an o/b till we removed the cover and found otherwise. seems the amber may be better than the o/b! ill need to get one n try, was going to try a maroon bc its got the same shiftout as an o/b

#11 ·
I had a maroon but never used it. Bought it at the same time as the almond and liked the almond so much that I just kept that one. From what I have read, the maroon & almond are pretty much the same other than the almond has some stall (it really isn't that much).

#15 ·
OH... OK! I'll go right out and buy some right now just because you said so. :huh: You REALLY think I am going to take advice on clutching, especially crap like this, from someone with just a handful of posts here??

So are you using Heelclickers in YOUR KFX700???? :rolleyes:

Plus, this is a thread about CLUTCH SPRINGS, not about weights (unless someone want to chime in about the Dalton DPK-57 weights).

#16 ·
I've tried lots of weights and lots of springs.....I used to change them in the parking lot at Silver lake all the time when we were up there racing. I always went back to Dalton 56g weights and the Orange/Blue Spring...Can't remember on shims, but I have ran up to 3, I think I have one in right now. I sold all the rest of my weights and springs and I don't touch it anymore.

The HPD plain was fun....I could ride slow one handed wheelies with that thing and it came out of the hole hard.....but then fell off quick. It didn't work for the longer then most 1000+ feet drags we do at Silver Lake.

Comet Black was fine, but not as good as the Or/Bl.

This is all with a very early version of VFJ machining and a machined Dalton clutch cover.

My spare motor has stock clutches with 58G Dalton weights and a Blue spring. Works good for trail riding, but that is also a much milder stock bore 700 motor, just pistons, cams and porting...not as beefy as the 800.

This 700 setup has a low engagement, much like stock, so not what you want to load the clutch and break the tires loose for a good holeshot without looping out.

#20 ·
Is it a V or something else?

#19 ·
What weights come with the Dalton clutch kit? Seems like they are 58g but I am not positive. If they are 58g, I am curious as to why VFJ told me that I would be better off with stock weights than to use 4 (or even 2) of the Dalton 57g weights that I have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.