Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't be running the sand again until after April 1st but I still have a clutch spring question. If it is suggested that I try other springs, I want keep my eyes open for used springs over the winter.

When I used to run my 24" 8-paddle Extremes, I found that the EPI Almond spring gave me the best 300' times out of the EPI Almond, EPI Red, and Dalton Blue springs that I tried. I have since changed to 25x12-10 10-paddle extremes and like them a lot but didn't get a chance to get to the sand drags with those tires to test out springs. Would I want a spring with a higher shift-out (170+) since the larger diameter tires are lowering the revs and a higher shiftout would bring them back up? If this is a possibility, got any suggestions?

These are some times from the last time I went to the sand drags with my green V before I had the 25" 10-paddle Extremes.

Best times: 5.655, 5.663, 5.670, 5.695
Best speed: 54.64
Best 60' times: 2.02, 2.03, 2.034

All of my best times were when I was running my 24" 8-paddle Extremes and the EPI Almond clutch spring.

I also tried the following combinations.
EPI Red Spring, 24" 8-paddle Extremes: ET-5.735, 60'-2.115, MPH-54.55
Dalton Blue Spring, 24" 8-paddle Extremes: ET-5.793, 60'-2.096, MPH-53.30
EPI Red Spring, 24" 10-paddle Edges: ET-5.811, 60'-2.137, MPH-53.71
EPI Almond Spring, 22" 4-Snow tires: ET-5.857, 60'-2.197, MPH-54.64

My top speed of the day was with the 4-Snows but my 60' times suffered from spinning at the line. I had thought that maybe the 24" 10-paddle Edges would be a little better than my 8-paddle Extremes but that wasn't the case.​

Also, when I compare the stall between my two V's - the green one with the EPI Almond and the orange one with the EPI Pink - the orange V actually seems to have slightly more stall with the Pink spring than the Almond in my green one. That is not what you would think by looking at the numbers for the springs. Has anyone else ever experienced this? Is it possible that something is worn or binding in the clutch on the orange one?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
It doesn't surprise me that your best times were with the 8 paddle extremes, they are probably lighter.

I hope that you see improvement with the 25's you are running now and not the opposite.

On the clutch spring thing, I would try EPI maroon, i've tried quite a few different springs but love the feel of the maroon. Also, the Dalton Or/Bl

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The lightest tires of the group are my 4-Snows on ITP wheels. I believe they weigh in at 14 lbs each for the tire/wheel assembly. That is why they gave me the best speed but they don't launch worth a crap on with the +4 swinger on my green V. They actually worked better on my orange V than the 22" 9-paddle Extremes that I was running on that one. For instance, you can see from what I posted above that with my 24" 8-paddle Extremes I got a good MPH with EPI Red spring but my 60' time and ET suffered.

The way I understood it, the Almond & Maroon were pretty much the same spring with the exception of a small bit of stall with the Almond. I had a Maroon that I bought when I got the Almond and never installed it. Sold it without even using it.

I had read that for some people the Orange/Blue spring falls flat after about 250'. Anybody have any experience with this?

Is my thinking right that with the taller 25" tire that I may want a spring with a higher shiftout? I don't have a tach yet so I can't tell what RPMs I am running at with different springs. I used the sand drags to test springs. I would make about 4-5 passes with each combination and use the best time from each setup to compare to the others.

Now that I think about it, I may have just answered my own question. :eek: The EPI Red/24" Extremes combo gave me one of my best speeds with only a 140 shiftout number but the 60' & ET probably suffered because it has too much stall. So it seems that maybe I don't need a higher shiftout if a 140 works for good MPH but I need lower than the 37 stall that the EPI Red has (I didn't like the Red and don't plan on keeping it). Does my rambling make ANY sense to any of you guys? :confused:

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
My experience with a tach and LM-1 that records rpms the higher they go the faster your speed. Of coarse there is a limit to that but within 300' it should hold true.
I would try a comet white first. Dalton orange/blue second and yes the larger diameter tire will drop your rpms but it also has a longer roll out so it covers more distance.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do you have any idea what the stall/shiftout numbers are for the Comet White spring? I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I have seen two Comet White springs with different part numbers. Do you know which is the correct one? If you look at the page in the link below there are two "white" springs. One about in the middle of the page and one almost to the bottom.
http://www.hiperf.com/acatalog/Snowmobile_Catalog_Comet_Springs_117.html

Any experience with the Dalton Amber, Red/Yellow/Silver, or Dark Green? How is the Comet Black different from the Comet White?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The comet white listed just under the black is the one I've been running.
White Spring
(Reference #203474)
I prefer the white or Dalton orange/blue over the comet black. Never tried the other Dalton's. It list the spring tensions of the comets on the page but not sure how those numbers are derived or compared to others.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does the stall feel? Does the white have a lot of stall or minimal?

These numbers don't match the normal measurements but this is what I found for the White.
Tension at 1 1/8 - 187, Tension at 2 3/8 - 65

1 - 7 of 7 Posts