Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changin the belt on my former brute 750 which I sold to my bro in law and the clutch seemed stiff so I pulled the spring out and I could not collapse it by hand. I had to tap it around the parimiter with a hammer handle to get it to go together. I spayed a little wd on the chrome center shaft (outside the sheaves) and cycled it a few times. It was still pretty stiff but it was much better after I did this. He smoked the belt and I think this is what caused that but what causes the clutch to stick? Or how can we prevent it? Thanks

Oh and all the weights and rollers are move freely.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had it buried up to the headlights and never had this happen? Inside the cover was clean other than belt dust. Water maybe but it would have been clean water because there was no sign of mud.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
egged weights most likely. they kick out and get stuck between the spider. or else the lower bushing has fallen out?? spider buttons -spider could have alot of dirt under them, faceplate bushing cocked?

WD40= BAD BAD IDEA!!!!!

That clutch is like a sponge for oil. you gotta remove it and clean it with a solvent or Spray Nine cleaner. One drop will ruin a clutch. and if it got on the belt, it's also on the secondary sheaves.

John

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was extremely careful not to get any on the sheaves and dried it all off before reinstalling. I did notice the center shaft has some crap on it where the bushing was stuck. I made sure to clean all of it off as well. I will check it again for him in a couple weeks and check back in. Thanks for the advise.

John I just re read your post and noticed you said something about the buttons and I didnt check them at all. I will have to make a point to get over there and check them also. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts