Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the big bore , high hp motors running for clutch weights? I am having belt issues...and the only thing left for me to really try is heavier weights...

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, Z. I talked with VFJ and he suggested heavier weights as well. Said to put like 62's in there with my set up. Put two (opposite each other) in the outer holes, and 2 in the middle holes of the weights. He said this will help with the top and mid. That is what I'm going to try to see if I can eliminate hitting the rev limiter half way down the track. This should allow me to continue to use the high stall spring to.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
I had to switch to Brute weights
thought it was just an old belt, spun out a new one also

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Chris, what the lenght of the track where you're running?

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do brute weights weigh?

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, so what weights have that? Dalton 58's?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
What do brute weights weigh?
58.5 grams stock brute weights.

I've been working with springs and weights for last month or so. My fastest speed 300' 2-57 gram Dalton and 2 54 gram V weights.
Best spring I found for brute gearing is HPD plain and comet white for 300.

For longer distance 1/4-1/2 mile, 4 V weights are 2 mph faster then the V/Dalton combo. The only explanation there would be higher rpm's.
My clutch is a JHmachine so weights are all acting heavier then a non cut sheave.

·
Premium Member
4,361 Posts
Chris, what the lenght of the track where you're running?

380' - Surry Sand track

500' - Bedford Dirt track

Surry is the one I was hitting the rev limiter. Only ran Bedford once last year so I'm not exactly sure how it is going to do on that track this year.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Was that spraying? Rev limiter in 380' is very strange unless you have a stock clutch, which you don't. Stud the crap outta those tires to put some load on that clutch.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
Surry is a paddle track
Chris, have you gone through your clutch lately. Maybe take it apart and clean it good. Might be sticking. Your running 26" Blasters at Surry, you should not be hitting the rev limiter. I wonder if your detonating, or blowing your spark out.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
Surry is a paddle track
Chris, have you gone through your clutch lately. Maybe take it apart and clean it good. Might be sticking. Your running 26" Blasters at Surry, you should not be hitting the rev limiter. I wonder if your detonating, or blowing your spark out.

He is running that big ass spring and it's probably coil binding, it's very long.

here's the way adjustable weights work.

add weight near the pin area and that gives low end belt grip and lowers stall and engagment RPM.

Add weight in the middle and that lowers midshift rpm, and can also cause it to overrev out of the hole and then lower the rev's at about 30 mph

add weight to the tip and that lets it shift out further and top end carry's less RPM.

now it's difficult to explain, but what you can do is have a clutch setup that steadily increaces in RPM and then kinda levels off then picks up again, that needs less mid weight and more tip weight. (this is a problem with dalton 58's on a stock 750cc machine) this can also be compensated for by a higher rate spring. nit necessarily a stiffer onne, but higher rate coil.

But back to Zmann's situation, you can combat this 2 ways pending on how he's geared with tires and sprockets. go up on weight mass but then underrev or add a different spring to get rpm's back. or add a stiffer secondary.

the weights will aid in faster upshift, and if you have the power to pull them it'll be faster on flat ground

up hill, stiffer secondary will add more lower gearing but if you are revving high, it can hamper top end and mid acceleration.

John

·
Premium Member
11,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I need belt grip..... tired of nuking belts on this dang thing....

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
the brute weights cured it for me

all the rest of that is to complicated for me

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
VFJ, would you ever see the need for any 58g weights on a 730? I am not hitting the rev limiter but haven't even tried out the weights since I bought them. I don't have a cut clutch yet but I primarily want whatever would be the quickest setup in 300'.

If I shouldn't ever need to run these in my 730 V, I may have a set of 58g Dalton weights for sale if you are interested, z-mann.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.