Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if there is a way to ohm out a coil? If there is do yo know what the reading should be?

I got my Brute running again but it is still bogging out. It idles great but falls on it's face when revved up. It's backfireing out of the front cylinder. I tried adjusting the air screw and it didn't seem to help. So I switched the coild front to back and then the rear carb is popping now. So that leads me to believe it's the coil or wire.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
you can ohm out the coil, just place your meter across the two terminals, with it unplugged. not sure what the specs should be, but make sure it isn't open. make sure your plug wire isn't open either. it might just help to take a reading of both wires and coils and compare them to eachother.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The primary side "the two spade terminals" should be 2.1 - 2.5 ohms. To check the secondary side, put your meter on the end of spark plug wire and the negative terminal on the primary side. Secondary reading should be 10 - 16 ohms.
NOTE: These specs are for a 2008 brute, ohms might vary for carbed brutes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine ohmed out at 5.25 and the specs said .09 to .13 for the primary and the secondary ohmed out at 9.93.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts