Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a major problem but my 700 is a bit cold blooded. Over the last few years i have made some changes when winter rolls around to help with the problem but i was wondering if anyone on here had any suggestions.

When winter gets here i change my plugs out to a set that are one number hotter than the stocks ones, i also change my oil from 20w-40 (for summer) to 10w-30 or 0w-30 (fo winter).

I would really like to change the fact that my Quads all have to sit in an unheated garage, but it dosn't look like that will happen any time soon.

Also even in warm weather i seem to have an idle problem at start-up. When i start the bike choke or not, it will not idle untill the block temp gets up to around 100. Even then it idles around 800 to 900RPM. As the engine warms up to 175+ my idle goes up to around 1100RPM. Its been like this for the last few years and has not caused any problems other than being annoying. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem.

Oh, the motor is almost completely stock, and once a year i adjust the valves, cables and anything else that needs periodic maintance.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I just got done with a complete stock rebuild (split case and all) and mine does the same thing....I'm definetly no expert, but FWIU these V motors are cold-blooded. Sea-Foam is GREAT I'm going to get some after the Holidays just for good measure. The other reason I think it's normal is the ease of accessability to the idle adjustment on the carb....it may seem simple, but I don't think Kawi would've gone to the trouble if it wasn't nessesary.
BTW, I recently read a great article @ NGK's website on sparkplugs and their respective heat ratings. I always thought a hotter plug gave a hotter spark...but I was wrong....a hotter plug rating just means the plug retains more heat from combustion, which can lead to preignition, detonation, and pinging, if you're running low quality gas or higher compression.
If you want a hotter spark for better combustion in cold weather, you should do a search in the best mods sticky thread for spark plug boot mod. It illiminates the noise filter in the boot and turns the spark from yellow to blue.
Ed3

1 - 4 of 4 Posts