Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to West Virginia for a New Years ride this weekend and it is going to be cold up there. As far as the clothing goes I am set, but tips for keeping the cables, brakes, and other things from freezing up. What would some of you recommend??

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use a cable luber to lube up your rear brake cable from the handle bars, this will push any moisture/dirt/ and grime you may have in the sleeve out and help prevent freeze up. Also do not have the parking brake set while you are trailering it to the site. If it does freeze it will do so with the brake locked, you can free it up by riding for a bit, but it puts wear and tear on the rear diff. Make sure you have a fresh tank of gas, any moisture in there can freeze up in your lines. And depending on how cold it is going to be, you may want to do an oil change with a little bit lighter weight oil to keep everything running smooth.

These have all worked for me up north here, and I have rode at -25F. It was painfull but fun...

Hope this helps, have a safe trip and a great New Year!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have so much trouble with starting some of the bikes we have when it's cold here (cold here is not nearly wat cold is where u are lol) but any one have any recomendations.
The 350 I'd impossible to start no matter if it's been run everyday for the pEt week and a Half or not.
An the 250 kick starting in the cold..... Haha never works for me.help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those things mentioned above are great ideas. One thing I would add, check your anti-freeze. Make sure your radiator is full, and that it is rated to an adequate temperature.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
There's a trick I do while I'm riding in wet, below freezing weather. I don't know if anyone else would recommend. But periodically I hold in the front brakes while on the throttle still. This melts any ice that has accumulated on the pads, to make sure they keep working. I've had to hold them in for 20+ seconds before till they started gripping good again.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Also, Bring a battery charger!! Or jumper cables

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Heated grips and thumb warmers will make a huge difference. Make sure you check your cv boots after the ride, broken ice can be very hard on them.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have so much trouble with starting some of the bikes we have when it's cold here (cold here is not nearly wat cold is where u are lol) but any one have any recomendations.
The 350 I'd impossible to start no matter if it's been run everyday for the pEt week and a Half or not.
If you have that hard of a time starting them in the cold then your jetting is too lean for that temperature.Try going up on the intermediate jet or for a quick fix turn idle mixture out a little .It won't work as good as changing the jets but it will help .Also a small shot of starting fluid in the air box will get them running .Just don't use too much.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you have that hard of a time starting them in the cold then your jetting is too lean for that temperature.Try going up on the intermediate jet or for a quick fix turn idle mixture out a little .It won't work as good as changing the jets but it will help .Also a small shot of starting fluid in the air box will get them running .Just don't use too much.
will it mess with how the bike runs if the weather was to warm up? We've been having very up and down weather.
Idk very much about jetting.

I'll move the idling.
I know the idle on this bike is so low right now because one individual won't leave it Alone n

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'll move the idling.
I know the idle on this bike is so low right now because one individual won't leave it Alone n
sometimes you got to. Was in the snow and had to crank it to warm it up but then it wouldn't shift well so i had to turn it back down to get in neutral and reverse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts