Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Kawasaki Prairie 650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to remove a comet clutch from a new to me Prairie 650. I purchased nd EPI PCP-1 puller (which according to EPI is the correct one for a Comet model 103 HPQ clutch.....the usual PCP-12 for the Kawi clutch has a different thread).

On using the puller it got real tight before it seemed like it was far enough in to pop the clutch and sheaves off. I backed it out to check, it goes in right around 4 1/2 inches (up to the tape on the attached picture) before it gets tight. My socket extension will slide in 5 3/4 inches (up to it's tape mark). I 'think' the EPI PCP-1 puller is to thick to go through the sheaves and make contact with the crankshaft and hence start to do it's job in popping the clutch off.

I'd really appreciate someone in the know could confirm this for me. The Puller is 'supposed' to be pushing against the crankshaft in order to pop off the clutch right? (in which case the PCP-1 tool would appear to be useless for removing a comet 103 HPQ clutch).

Thank you in advance for any help and insight.
S1 Writing implement Office supplies Cosmetics Writing instrument accessory Wood

·
Registered
Kawasaki Prairie 650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response NMKAWIERIDER. The problem is not that it runs out of threads, but I do understand the problem now (which is simple and rather obvious now that I understand better how the puller is supposed to work). The girth of the shank on the PCP-1 puller is WAY TO BIG at the end where it needs to mate with the crankshaft and pushes up against the sheave (or perhaps it's bushing) before reaching the crankshaft.......hence for removing a Comet clutch on a Kawasaki Prairie the PCP-1 tool is useless.

The PCP-10 tool also does not work as the Comet Clutch and Kawasaki clutch have very different threads. Attached is a pic of the 2 side by side (Yes, I purchased both....neither work!).

I have a call out to comet clutches asking if they make a tool that will remove one of their clutches from a Kawasaki Prairie (needs the thread of the PCP-1 but the tapered shaft of the PCP-10), I suspect the one they list for a Comet 103 HPQ clutch is the same spec as the PCP-1 (good for removing a Comet clutch from a Polaris but useless for removing one from a Kawi Prairie.

I'll report back what I find out, I know I'm not the only one with a Comet 103 HPQ clutch on a Prairie.

Office supplies Writing instrument accessory Cylinder Metal Stationery

S1

·
Registered
Kawasaki Prairie 650
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a return call from Comet Clutches. They tell me the only one they have with th correct 3/4 16 thread is their part No. 216097A. This appears exactly the same diameter on the tapered and as the EPIP PCP-1 puller so will have exactly the same problem.

At this juncture, I think you are right NMKAWIERIDER, I may have to resort to a machine shop and get the EPI PCP-1 turned. I'm kind of surprised no one else has had the same problem with removing their comet clutches! If you have been able to do so please let me know which puller you used!

Thanks S1

1 - 3 of 3 Posts