Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i was having trouble with the 4wd locking up and couldn't shift so i bought the manual shifter kit from Knight and installed it in about an hour and have had no more problems works like a champ.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If your stator fails DO NOT buy a replacement from RMSTATOR !!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Buy a factory stator from Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle.
Oh geez, why not? I just picked up my engine from BKP having a rebuild done to fix the transmission and stator. I dropped off a new RMStator and it’s installed on the bike now. Just picked up the engine yesterday.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mine only lasted 1800 miles. The original one lasted 8000 miles.The RMStator left me stranded several times due to its inability to keep up with the load ie EPS. Every time I used my winch it left me stranded.
I replaced the rectifier/regulator and the battery when I installed the new stator.

That was a lot of money and a lot of work for 1800 miles.
I already have 1400 miles on my new OE stator without a single issue.

I hope you have better luck than I did. Mine was junk.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts

This is my ATV Wagon electric screw dump trailer.
Last year I was working on a project with the US Forest Service who has two of these trailers and the Paiute Trail Committee who have two more.
We were hauling loads of road base building a interpretive site for a Belknap Ranger Station built back in the early 1900s.
After about 4 loads my ATV died due to a dead battery. Once again the RMStator was incapable of keeping up with the demand.
The other trailers were being towed with older Honda Rubicons, 570 Polaris's and a couple other different ATVs and non of them had any issues with their batteries going dead.

I loathe RMStator. Its a cheap imitation of the Kawasaki OE stator.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Mine is a 08 SRA so no EPS, winch, or really anything extra drawing on it. I hope it lasts a while. If not, I’ll replace it again. I just had them drop it in since they were rebuilding the engine anyway. Was a little disappointed yesterday after spending all day getting the engine mounted and everything hooked back up. Go to fire it up and I guess the starter motor fried when the rest of it went out. Then broke the pull rope trying to crank it. It was a donor I pulled from a different swamp donkey resto project. I loathe mud bikes and the shit that get torn up when people don’t maintain them.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Mine is a 08 SRA so no EPS, winch, or really anything extra drawing on it. I hope it lasts a while. If not, I’ll replace it again. I just had them drop it in since they were rebuilding the engine anyway. Was a little disappointed yesterday after spending all day getting the engine mounted and everything hooked back up. Go to fire it up and I guess the starter motor fried when the rest of it went out. Then broke the pull rope trying to crank it. It was a donor I pulled from a different swamp donkey resto project. I loathe mud bikes and the shit that get torn up when people don’t maintain them.
I hope you have zero issues with it and it lasts forever.

One my riding friends bought a new 650 Prairie when they first came out. The rest of us were riding 500 cc ATV. It was impressive.

One of my friends has a yellow 650 Prairie with only about 400 miles on it. I can't remember what year it is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I hope so as well. We have a 03 P650 with over 9k miles on it and barely an issue with it. It’s my wife’s bike now. I got the BF650 several years ago and did a ground up resto on it but just keep running into issues. Like the transmission collar breaking which is the reason for this recent rebuild. Hopefully one I get these last few quirks done I will be spending way more time riding than fixing.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts