Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i was having trouble with the 4wd locking up and couldn't shift so i bought the manual shifter kit from Knight and installed it in about an hour and have had no more problems works like a champ.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Should really add Intake Valve wear due to the seats cutting into them. Solution: widen the seats.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
If your stator fails DO NOT buy a replacement from RMSTATOR !!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Buy a factory stator from Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If your stator fails DO NOT buy a replacement from RMSTATOR !!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Buy a factory stator from Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle.
Oh geez, why not? I just picked up my engine from BKP having a rebuild done to fix the transmission and stator. I dropped off a new RMStator and it’s installed on the bike now. Just picked up the engine yesterday.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Mine only lasted 1800 miles. The original one lasted 8000 miles.The RMStator left me stranded several times due to its inability to keep up with the load ie EPS. Every time I used my winch it left me stranded.
I replaced the rectifier/regulator and the battery when I installed the new stator.

That was a lot of money and a lot of work for 1800 miles.
I already have 1400 miles on my new OE stator without a single issue.

I hope you have better luck than I did. Mine was junk.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts

This is my ATV Wagon electric screw dump trailer.
Last year I was working on a project with the US Forest Service who has two of these trailers and the Paiute Trail Committee who have two more.
We were hauling loads of road base building a interpretive site for a Belknap Ranger Station built back in the early 1900s.
After about 4 loads my ATV died due to a dead battery. Once again the RMStator was incapable of keeping up with the demand.
The other trailers were being towed with older Honda Rubicons, 570 Polaris's and a couple other different ATVs and non of them had any issues with their batteries going dead.

I loathe RMStator. Its a cheap imitation of the Kawasaki OE stator.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine is a 08 SRA so no EPS, winch, or really anything extra drawing on it. I hope it lasts a while. If not, I’ll replace it again. I just had them drop it in since they were rebuilding the engine anyway. Was a little disappointed yesterday after spending all day getting the engine mounted and everything hooked back up. Go to fire it up and I guess the starter motor fried when the rest of it went out. Then broke the pull rope trying to crank it. It was a donor I pulled from a different swamp donkey resto project. I loathe mud bikes and the shit that get torn up when people don’t maintain them.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Mine is a 08 SRA so no EPS, winch, or really anything extra drawing on it. I hope it lasts a while. If not, I’ll replace it again. I just had them drop it in since they were rebuilding the engine anyway. Was a little disappointed yesterday after spending all day getting the engine mounted and everything hooked back up. Go to fire it up and I guess the starter motor fried when the rest of it went out. Then broke the pull rope trying to crank it. It was a donor I pulled from a different swamp donkey resto project. I loathe mud bikes and the shit that get torn up when people don’t maintain them.
I hope you have zero issues with it and it lasts forever.

One my riding friends bought a new 650 Prairie when they first came out. The rest of us were riding 500 cc ATV. It was impressive.

One of my friends has a yellow 650 Prairie with only about 400 miles on it. I can't remember what year it is.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I hope so as well. We have a 03 P650 with over 9k miles on it and barely an issue with it. It’s my wife’s bike now. I got the BF650 several years ago and did a ground up resto on it but just keep running into issues. Like the transmission collar breaking which is the reason for this recent rebuild. Hopefully one I get these last few quirks done I will be spending way more time riding than fixing.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Mine only lasted 1800 miles. The original one lasted 8000 miles.The RMStator left me stranded several times due to its inability to keep up with the load ie EPS. Every time I used my winch it left me stranded.
I replaced the rectifier/regulator and the battery when I installed the new stator.

That was a lot of money and a lot of work for 1800 miles.
I already have 1400 miles on my new OE stator without a single issue.

I hope you have better luck than I did. Mine was junk.
Well, on my 4th ride after rebuild with the new RMStator, I was left stranded with no charge on a brand new Shorai lithium battery. I just cleaned the bike up and going to tow it I to the garage this afternoon to troubleshoot the issue. I went cheap on a replacement rectifier as well from DB Electrical (I know I know) and not sure which part has failed. I was already $2k+ deep in the engine rebuild and just trying to get the damn thing running. Now it’s looking like it may be another $600 for OEM stator and rectifier.

A new ‘19 or ‘20 model 750 is looking really tempting at this point.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Sure sorry to hear this. :(
Try Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle for your parts.
I put the original rectifier/regulator back on and so far zero problems.

click link below for Rocky Mountain

Kawasaki OEM Parts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Well, on my 4th ride after rebuild with the new RMStator, I was left stranded with no charge on a brand new Shorai lithium battery. I just cleaned the bike up and going to tow it I to the garage this afternoon to troubleshoot the issue. I went cheap on a replacement rectifier as well from DB Electrical (I know I know) and not sure which part has failed. I was already $2k+ deep in the engine rebuild and just trying to get the damn thing running. Now it’s looking like it may be another $600 for OEM stator and rectifier.

A new ‘19 or ‘20 model 750 is looking really tempting at this point.
If you get a new brute please post pictures

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sure sorry to hear this. :(
Try Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle for your parts.
I put the original rectifier/regulator back on and so far zero problems.

click link below for Rocky Mountain

Kawasaki OEM Parts
I have to troubleshoot and figure out what I’m going to do. Or more like what I’m willing to.

I’ve ordered from RMATV a few in the past. Usually use Partzilla because they are quicker, but that hasn’t been true in the past few months. They have been very slow but I guess it’s to be expected with the pandemic. Also like Babbits and they have been good recently for OEM parts.

ETA: Stator checks out good. Rectifier seems to be the culprit according to my testing. Going to go ahead and replace the cheap rectifier with an OEM.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have to troubleshoot and figure out what I’m going to do. Or more like what I’m willing to.

I’ve ordered from RMATV a few in the past. Usually use Partzilla because they are quicker, but that hasn’t been true in the past few months. They have been very slow but I guess it’s to be expected with the pandemic. Also like Babbits and they have been good recently for OEM parts.

ETA: Stator checks out good. Rectifier seems to be the culprit according to my testing. Going to go ahead and replace the cheap rectifier with an OEM.

Did you get it fixed?? What did it end up being??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Did you get it fixed?? What did it end up being??
Glad that you pinged me on this because I’ve been on to fixing other stuff on other bikes and forgot to post back.

So I had rebuilt the harness from the stator to the rectifier and in doing so, one of the terminals was inserted backwards so it didn’t catch the little hook in the plug. When I plugged the harness plug into the rectifier, it pushed the terminal partially out and then riding wiggled loose the rest of the way. Took me a while to find it, but it’s fixed now and I’m using the used rectifier that I bought and have a backup cheap one in case it’s ever needed. I have 3 bikes that use the same rectifier so chances are I’ll need it at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
During carb rebuild a dropped screw will often land in the cylinder and bend the valves and need to be in a machine shop for repairs. Common mistake learned the hard way.

121 - 138 of 138 Posts