Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought it might be helpful to make a list of the most COMMON mechanical problems/weaknesses that occur on the KFX 700. This list could be helpful for new KFX 700 owners and/or someone interested in buying one.

I'll start the list (in no particular order)...please post below with any suggestions you have to add to this list.

KFX 700 COMMON MECHANICAL PROBLEMS:

1) Stock tie rods are weak / bend too easily; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tie rods and tie rod ends

2) Stock tires tend to wobble / vibrate at high speeds; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tires

3) Stock shocks are too stiff; Fix: Replace with aftermarket shocks or the cheaper option is to replace the front shocks with stock front Honda 450r shocks and the rear shock with a stock rear Predator shock (alternatively, the stock rear KFX 700 shock can be rebuilt/upgraded by GT Thunder).

4) Stock frame near front "spar" area may bend if wrecked; Fix: Avoid hitting trees at high speed :lol: or add reinforcement near spar area

5) Stock steering hoop bends easily if KFX is rolled; Fix: Avoid flipping quad upside down :lol: or add reinforcement to steering hoop.

6) Stock swingarm bearings tend to wear out prematurely, especially if mud riding often; Fix: Periodically disassemble and apply grease and/or keep an eye on them and replace as necessary.

7) Stock intake valves tend to wear out prematurely; Fix: Keep an eye on them and replace if needed.

8) Stock '04 KFX 700 rocker arm shafts had mounting bolts on the shaft that could possibly loosen and fall into the top-end of the motor causing catastrophic damage; Fix: Replace with '05 or later model Prairie rocker arm shafts.

9) Stock tail light tends to break easily if wheelie too much/set on back end; Fix: Install aftermarket grab bar for more protection or aftermarket tail light (slimmer design).

10) ANYTHING ELSE ???

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Doing #1 can result in the damage stated in #4.

If the tie rods don't give something else will. :)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Steering hoop bends easily when rolled..you can tell by the steering stem end being too close to the airbox cover and from rub marks on the seat/airbox cover. And there will be cracks/rust in the factory powdercoat on the hoop itself.

I've never had an issue with tire wobble on any of mine.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When installing seat, be careful not to pinch the fuel line

Sent from my iPhone on the toilet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Swingarm Bearings wear out faster than other ATV's due to not being sealed well from the factory and added weight from sealed brake system.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the input! Keep'em coming.

T_Dilley,
Not everyone has experienced all of the above problems. However, I thought it was worth adding to this list as long as the problem was common in the sense that the same thing happened to more than just one or two folks. I personally had that stock tire wobble issue on my KFX and I know of others that did too.

·
Registered
194 Posts
3) Stock shocks are too stiff; Fix: Replace with aftermarket shocks or shocks from Honda 450r
Might want to add Front Shocks to this and add rear shock replace with a Predator remote rezzie rear shock or have stock rear reworked by GT Thunder.

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks BigAl.

Anyone else have any ideas to add to this list?

·
Registered
472 Posts
boot mod is something that should have been done from factory. huge difference in spark.. +1 on shocks too, I did honda trx450 shocks in front, polaris predator shock in the rear and its a whole new ride. Factory shocks are no good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The stock tail light is in a vulnerable spot! Get a grab bar or buy aftermarket led tail light!

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks PuttPutt.

Please keep the ideas coming!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just fount that the stock shifter is horrible and kept knocking it out of gear even after propper adjustments: replace with a stubby shifter

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Just fount that the stock shifter is horrible and kept knocking it out of gear even after propper adjustments: replace with a stubby shifter
Have been using the factory shifter since 2003...... It has never poped out of gear or malfunctioned in any way. :)

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
worst thing about them is they keep my wallet empty :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
aakash. Good point. But I thought it was the steering stem that bends easily...is that not right? What exactly is the steering hoop?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts