Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Captain,
It sounds like you may have a jetting issue. Please start a new thread in the KFX700 Vforce section and I'm sure you'll get some helpful replies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i have kawasaki kfx 700 v twin that acts like it is running out of gas at full throttle and it spits and sputters and then it dies does anyone no what could be wrong with it please tell me

did u just buy the machine? has it been sitting? you may just need to clean the carbs, especially if it has no modifications then thats probably what it is

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I like 5 in the front and 3-4 in the rear. It really depends on terrain, your weight, and riding style. More pressure gives more ground clearance and less rolling resistance, but too much will make for a harsh ride and traction issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Refering to #4, i have a chance to get another 04v pretty cheap (1800.00) quad is in great shape, runs fine, except that the owner hit a large rock in a snow covered field, and crushed the "spar" (if thats indeed the name for the little mount at the end of the square middle frame tube that the lower mount for the brush guard bolts to) pretty good, stock bumper was on it, trashed that, and bent the "L" mount in also to the point i would not be able to pull it back out. one side of the "spar" is crushed back almost to the point of touching the A arm bolt. is there any way to "pull" out the crush, and reweld a "L" bracket so i could mount an aftermarket guard ?? any input would be greatly appreciated. see pic provided of area in question.

Thanks Warren

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thought it might be helpful to make a list of the most COMMON mechanical problems/weaknesses that occur on the KFX 700. This list could be helpful for new KFX 700 owners and/or someone interested in buying one.

I'll start the list (in no particular order)...please post below with any suggestions you have to add to this list.

KFX 700 COMMON MECHANICAL PROBLEMS:

1) Stock tie rods are weak / bend too easily; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tie rods and tie rod ends

2) Stock tires tend to wobble / vibrate at high speeds; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tires

3) Stock shocks are too stiff; Fix: Replace with aftermarket shocks or the cheaper option is to replace the front shocks with stock front Honda 450r shocks and the rear shock with a stock rear Predator shock (alternatively, the stock rear KFX 700 shock can be rebuilt/upgraded by GT Thunder).

4) Stock frame near front "spar" area may bend if wrecked; Fix: Avoid hitting trees at high speed :lol: or add reinforcement near spar area

5) Stock steering hoop bends easily if KFX is rolled; Fix: Avoid flipping quad upside down :lol: or add reinforcement to steering hoop.

6) Stock swingarm bearings tend to wear out prematurely, especially if mud riding often; Fix: Periodically disassemble and apply grease and/or keep an eye on them and replace as necessary.

7) Stock intake valves tend to wear out prematurely; Fix: Keep an eye on them and replace if needed.

8) Stock '04 KFX 700 rocker arm shafts had mounting bolts on the shaft that could possibly loosen and fall into the top-end of the motor causing catastrophic damage; Fix: Replace with '05 or later model Prairie rocker arm shafts.

9) Stock tail light tends to break easily if wheelie too much/set on back end; Fix: Install aftermarket grab bar for more protection or aftermarket tail light (slimmer design).

10) ANYTHING ELSE ???
Just wondering if it is possible for some of you guys with more experience with some of these common problems to post pics of your fixes to these problem, if you have pics. It would be helpful to newbies like me. I would like to fix a lot of these before it happens to me! Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thought it might be helpful to make a list of the most COMMON mechanical problems/weaknesses that occur on the KFX 700. This list could be helpful for new KFX 700 owners and/or someone interested in buying one.

I'll start the list (in no particular order)...please post below with any suggestions you have to add to this list.

KFX 700 COMMON MECHANICAL PROBLEMS:

1) Stock tie rods are weak / bend too easily; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tie rods and tie rod ends

2) Stock tires tend to wobble / vibrate at high speeds; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tires

3) Stock shocks are too stiff; Fix: Replace with aftermarket shocks or the cheaper option is to replace the front shocks with stock front Honda 450r shocks and the rear shock with a stock rear Predator shock (alternatively, the stock rear KFX 700 shock can be rebuilt/upgraded by GT Thunder).

4) Stock frame near front "spar" area may bend if wrecked; Fix: Avoid hitting trees at high speed :lol: or add reinforcement near spar area

5) Stock steering hoop bends easily if KFX is rolled; Fix: Avoid flipping quad upside down :lol: or add reinforcement to steering hoop.

6) Stock swingarm bearings tend to wear out prematurely, especially if mud riding often; Fix: Periodically disassemble and apply grease and/or keep an eye on them and replace as necessary.

7) Stock intake valves tend to wear out prematurely; Fix: Keep an eye on them and replace if needed.

8) Stock '04 KFX 700 rocker arm shafts had mounting bolts on the shaft that could possibly loosen and fall into the top-end of the motor causing catastrophic damage; Fix: Replace with '05 or later model Prairie rocker arm shafts.

9) Stock tail light tends to break easily if wheelie too much/set on back end; Fix: Install aftermarket grab bar for more protection or aftermarket tail light (slimmer design).

10) ANYTHING ELSE ???
I have a question about #8. The rocker arm shafts. How do you know if this has happened or not? If I was going to look at a 04 v force for sale then what bolts would I look at to make sure there tight?

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
On the top of the rocker box there's shafts that go through all the way. Looks like you could gat a flat head on them. Not sure they would turn though. Best way to check is to take of valve lash inspection covers and look if there missing. Little gold 8 mm bolt head

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help with servicing pullies etc

Hi people just looking for sum advice. Ive had quads for years, from boasters to can-am renegade. Never having done mechanical work myself im a novice. I just bought a 2007 KFX 700. The guy i got it from clearly hasn't looked after it & be i wanted to over all it. Service etc. ive been told that even though "he said" the belt has been changed that i should service the pullies?? This is where im stuck.
Ive youtubed a couple vids showing spring replacement on the pullies etc but no service work. Am i being silly....is this servicing? Or is there more to it? Ive head the expressin "shimming" what is this & can i do the pullie service myself? Oh & could someone point me to a downloadable PDF service manual?
Hope someone can help.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts