Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
IS that with the parking brake set?

Might be moisture in your brake cable if you are setting the brake.
I had this problem just the other week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
IS that with the parking brake set?

Might be moisture in your brake cable if you are setting the brake.
I had this problem just the other week.
nope i stopped setting the parking brake in the winter cause i had that issue but this one has me worried, i put it in reverse and give it gas and nothing, i can smell the belt burn when i do that and can feel the axle trying to turn but once again nothing happened

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check the oil in the differential. Is it polluted with water? Could it have been replaced with the wrong Hyd. fluid? Do you mean the front left brake lever? It being hard could indicate the water in cables. Water in the rear housing around the brake lever could also be the problem. Being triggered by cold really points to a moisture or wrong fluid problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kfx700 2004

Thought it might be helpful to make a list of the most COMMON mechanical problems/weaknesses that occur on the KFX 700. This list could be helpful for new KFX 700 owners and/or someone interested in buying one.

I'll start the list (in no particular order)...please post below with any suggestions you have to add to this list.

KFX 700 COMMON MECHANICAL PROBLEMS:

1) Stock tie rods are weak / bend too easily; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tie rods and tie rod ends

2) Stock tires tend to wobble / vibrate at high speeds; Fix: Replace with aftermarket tires

3) Stock shocks are too stiff; Fix: Replace with aftermarket shocks or the cheaper option is to replace the front shocks with stock front Honda 450r shocks and the rear shock with a stock rear Predator shock (alternatively, the stock rear KFX 700 shock can be rebuilt/upgraded by GT Thunder).

4) Stock frame near front "spar" area may bend if wrecked; Fix: Avoid hitting trees at high speed :lol: or add reinforcement near spar area

5) Stock steering hoop bends easily if KFX is rolled; Fix: Avoid flipping quad upside down :lol: or add reinforcement to steering hoop.

6) Stock swingarm bearings tend to wear out prematurely, especially if mud riding often; Fix: Periodically disassemble and apply grease and/or keep an eye on them and replace as necessary.

7) Stock intake valves tend to wear out prematurely; Fix: Keep an eye on them and replace if needed.

8) Stock '04 KFX 700 rocker arm shafts had mounting bolts on the shaft that could possibly loosen and fall into the top-end of the motor causing catastrophic damage; Fix: Replace with '05 or later model Prairie rocker arm shafts.

9) Stock tail light tends to break easily if wheelie too much/set on back end; Fix: Install aftermarket grab bar for more protection or aftermarket tail light (slimmer design).

10) ANYTHING ELSE ???
i have an overheating problem waters coming out of the water tank boiling, and lots of white smoke coming out of exhaust any HELP?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2005 kfx700 got new starter cause it was turning over slow just about to start but just not turning fast enough. Got new starter on an still the same help please

·
Registered
888 Posts
8) Stock '04 KFX 700 rocker arm shafts had mounting bolts on the shaft that could possibly loosen and fall into the top-end of the motor causing catastrophic damage; Fix: Replace with '05 or later model Prairie rocker arm shafts.

Do I need to do this if I only go into the motor or should this be done to any '04 model regardless of motor work?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not the usual problems but I can't be the only one.

So, not a common problem but....the other day I was changing out the jets on my 2006 KFX for the what seems like the 100th time, to get the right fuel mixture, when one of the bolts I had in my hand dropped down this small hole in the air box. The tube attached to the hole is an "Air Vent" that goes right down into the crankcase. I checked the tube and it is not there. Next step drain the oil and see if the bolt comes out with the oil. Has anyone out there had to open the crankcase before? I head out for Florence, OR in a week and really don't want to ride my kids 250. :eek:

The other issue is it stuck in the reducer from the tube into the crankcase. Even with my small hands I can't get in there to take a look.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Try to get down there with a magnet. Might get lucky.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
We had that happen to a friend's bike. It doesn't go all the way down. There are bosses inside the path that keep it from reaching the bottom. He was able to suck it out of the tube with an air-powered vacuum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I adjusted the valves on mine a corroding to what the mannual said. A friend of mine also has a kfx 700 and he said the valves are bad about tightening theirselves up. So I did mine to the higher number in the range to adjust them. When I started it, the four wheeler started making a ticking noise. Should I just run it and wait for it to go away or try to fix it

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for a KFX 700

howdy folks, I've been looking for a KFX 700 for my wife and it seems every one one in my area for sale is an 04. I keep reading about the rocker shaft failure on the 04 models and I'm wondering if I should avoid them altogether? should I look at 06+ models? or is the rocker mod easy to fix, I saw that a member "Nathan" would do the mod, can anyone provide me his contact info? It won't let me send PM's yet. I appreciate any help and insight anyone can provide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steering hoop bends easily when rolled..you can tell by the steering stem end being too close to the airbox cover and from rub marks on the seat/airbox cover. And there will be cracks/rust in the factory powdercoat on the hoop itself.

I've never had an issue with tire wobble on any of mine.
I've noticed that my steering stem is awfully close to my seat. Is it possible that the steering stem/shaft could bent?

·
Registered
6 Posts
keep your fluent lines in check, and tucked where they're supposed to be, knocked a coolant line out of its niche when installing an upgraded exhaust and the rubber burnt against the hot pipe...

·
Registered
6 Posts
looking for a KFX 700

howdy folks, I've been looking for a KFX 700 for my wife and it seems every one one in my area for sale is an 04. I keep reading about the rocker shaft failure on the 04 models and I'm wondering if I should avoid them altogether? should I look at 06+ models? or is the rocker mod easy to fix, I saw that a member "Nathan" would do the mod, can anyone provide me his contact info? It won't let me send PM's yet. I appreciate any help and insight anyone can provide.
Had my 04 kfx 700 since.... well 04 when I bought it new... haven't had any problems with it thus far...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just want to add a few things I've ran into while refurbishing a 2005 KFX.
  • Water pump (mechanical seal failure)
    • Assuming this is the cause for oil / water pump drive shaft getting pitted / corroded. I've read it's common on most Kawasaki engines and a good sign the mechanical seal is bad.

• Water pump (weep / breather hole plugged)
    • Assuming this occurs sooner if someone uses tap water in the radiator. Seems like the minerals in the water cause build up and eventually plug the passageway. I had to use a very small drill to clear mine out and then scraped out the rest of the junk with a carb cleaning brush

• Wear pattern on the rockers (exhaust side from the KACR mechanism) - not sure if this is normal wear or from the KACR hanging open and dragging across the surface when it shouldn't be. i.e.- above 800 or so RPM

• CVT - drive pulley wear on the cage
    • From what I've read, the wear marks on the side of the cage is due to the plastic buttons on the spider being worn down. It's a sign that you need a new spider which is about $90. The buttons are not a serviceable part.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 60 Posts