Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone else confirm that the way JMcCLURE wired up his tach will work on the brutes. I want the sweep style needle tach but dont have a VDI to plug it directly into. Thanks and please excuse the new thread about old topics.

QUOTE from JMcCLURE:

"it's a regular automobile tach, but you can set it at 4cylinder and hook the green wire from the tach to the black wire with a yellow stripe coming out of the motor(pick-up wire) and it will work good! The other wires are self expainitory.. wire for the light and a hot and ground!"

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tryed it to confirm if it will work?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
It will work, because our motors fire on exhaust and compression stroke! with our motor, that's four times a complete cycle. thus setting the auto tach to 4 cylinder. It will not work off the coil wire, you have to hook it to the pick up wire coming out of the bottom of the motor, because it's the wire that's sending the signal to the CDI! The coil wire is getting it's signal from the CDI, not the motor, it will not read 4 times a cycle, only 2 and will not work!

·
Registered
445 Posts
is this for v's also?

thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
thanks, i been wondering about a tach

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man for the info! I just got a little worried because i tryed this about a year ago and I must of tapped into the wrong wire becasue the tach would work but the motor would not rev over about 4k. It acted like it was hitting the reverse limiter!? I got frustrated and quit but I really want to put one in now so I am going totry it again. Is there anyway we can get some pics of the exact wire and location so I am 100% sure i get the right one this time?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
It's the black wire with a yellow stripe coming out of the bottom of the motor, down by the starter, you can't miss it!

Sorry but I don't have any pics.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Does it matter what kind of Tach? I got a cheap autometer I'm thinking about putting on mine.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not had a chance yet. I am in China now on buisness and will get back sometime early next week. I will try to test the theory when I get back.Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have not had a chance yet. I am in China now on buisness and will get back sometime early next week. I will try to test the theory when I get back.Thanks

bring me back one of those knock off pit bikes :cool: a green one

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Anyone else ever hook up a tach?

·
Registered
7,129 Posts

Uh.. No offense..(really don't mean to sound like a dick) but there is no theory involved here! It works with an automotive autometer tach set to 4 cylinder.. It's proven on my bike. But if you insist.. go ahead and hook it to the coil wire and prove to yourself that it doesn't work, or you could save yourself some time and hook it to the pick-up wire coming out of the bottom of the motor and be done with it! :cheers:<----(hopefully this will help indicate that I'm really not trying to be a dick) :lol:

·
Registered
445 Posts

Uh.. No offense..(really don't mean to sound like a dick) but there is no theory involved here! It works with an automotive autometer tach set to 4 cylinder.. It's proven on my bike. But if you insist.. go ahead and hook it to the coil wire and prove to yourself that it doesn't work, or you could save yourself some time and hook it to the pick-up wire coming out of the bottom of the motor and be done with it! :cheers:<----(hopefully this will help indicate that I'm really not trying to be a dick) :lol:

wow.. a drunkin dick :lol:

·
Super Moderator
12,616 Posts

I've seen it work on reds650's bike. It does work as JMcClure described. No theory here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hear ya JM, I just thought i tryed this a couple years ago and it didnt work but believe you me, and I am going to try again! Thanks for all the help and I will let yall know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts