Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

Confused me is - Rear drive/diff fluid

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NovaKaw650 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

New here since I just bought an older KFX 400 (2004) & am trying to do a complete tune up on her. I have a service manual & have been able to get a lot done so far. Thanks in advance.. Did a ton of searching before posting so I hope this isn't too redundant.

I'm looking to change the rear drive/diff fluid & have read EVERY post I can find about this. I've found its a MUST to use the wet brake fluid but what I can't find is anything in the service manual or a video showing how to drain. This might be a stupid question but I really want to make sure I don't screw this up.

Is the rear diff fluid drain under the skid plate or on the far rear? I saw some saying its a hex bolt then other videos show the bolt being further up near the main oil drain (I think?). Figured it would be somewhere on the rear swing arm but don't know for sure.

I read the entire manual & didn't see anything so I'm starting to go crazy. I'm not a mechanic by any means & a lot of this is new to me. I change my car oil & do most repairs (long as I have a manual or example I'm gravy!), but don't have much experience yet w/ ATV maintenance/rprs.

If anyone gets a chance & can point me in the right direction whether it be a page to ref in the manual or just a quick reply saying where the drain plug/bolt.

From what I understand you refill @ the plug on top of the rear drive & just fill it all the way up, that sound right?

Thanks in advance everyone. I've learned so much already from just reading other ppls post & hope to learn a little more with my own! Trying to keep this old bike in good shape since she's still running like a CHAMP!

See less See more
#2 ·
Do you mean KFX 700, as the 400 is a completely different machine?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.