Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2001 Honda 400ex. Got it in a trade, wasn't exactly what I was looking for in a quad, but it does ok. The chassis is wonderful, fantastic trans, and good smooth 4-stroke torque. Just not enough power. Nowhere near enough. I consider a stock banshee to be too slow, the 400ex is way too slow. So, I have it listed up forsale or trade for a banshee locally. I just got offered an '87 Tecate 4 on trade. Never heard of one until yesterday. It looks to be in good condition from what the owner has sent for pictures, and he claims its in excellent running order, doesn't need anything.

Now the power, I gather, should be quite a bit stronger than the 400ex, like 33% more or so. Big difference. I'm still not sure it'll be satisfactory. One friend I ride with has a RZ350 banshee - thats the motorcycle powervalve motor, not the stock non-powervalve motor, with a full porting, single carb and 2 into 1 pipe, its a banshee w/ lowend as well. I've ridden it a few times, its decent. Definetly wouldn't want less power. I'm definitley a horsepower junkie. How does the power of the Tecate compare with the 400ex, and more importantly against a stock and modified banshee? These are good benchmarks for me. How about the chassis, a good performer.

My other concern is parts/reliablity. I'm no stranger to 2-strokes, you're gonna rebuild motors from time to time - whats it like to try and get parts like pistons, rings, gaskets, etc? What are the weak parts of these machines? And whats the value of a fair condition Tecate. 1987 I beleive. Thanks for the input - you can bet if I go through with the trade I'll be on here again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hold out for a banshee if that's what you want.

The tecate motor is good, but the chassis and handling and aftermarket parts are pretty much null. You can build it up to a 330, but figure the banshee parts are way more accessible. It's a 250 motor so figure it's inline with a TRX250R or LT250R

So tell me where this tecate is. How much does he want for it?
I'm trying to find a good donor to graft into the KFX450R - I personally don't need a big bore but like the 2-strokes.

The 400ex is a heavy pig - can be modded lots though.

Fair value is $1500 or less.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts