Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

conversion!!

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kfxnando 
#1 ·
well have had this idea on my mind for a while, have done much homework around the idea and have basically made up my mind, any case know that many here play with many things besides just the kawies!!

so thought of putting the idea out here and hearing what you all have to say!!

currently the motor in the Ford 4x4 that we use as a tow vehicle has a bout 145hp, and about 260Nm
loaded traylor just short of 2tons

the motor is tired and needs a major overall!!

so had a look at doing a conversion, had a look at the Chevy SB, and the Ford 302 and 351W, however space under the hood is an issue, and again the idea of the Toyota Lexus V8 came up, did some home work and am pretty keen on going this route!!

will be getting the Bellhouse modified, new flywheel and clutches custom made, as I will be keeping the original 5speed manual gearbox!!

depending on witch version of the Lexus motor I get power is around 300hp and 420Nm torque!!

now, has anyone here played with these motors, or done any thing similar conversion wise??

will be great to hear your guys opinions!!:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Is the truck a Ranger or S.A. equivilent? Is the Lexus motor that much smaller than the other V-8's?
This sounds like a horrendously expensive project to me, not to mention the electronics nightmares.
If it's a Ranger, there are reasonably priced aftermarket kits available to swap in a Ford V-8. Whatever you do, the rest of the drivetrain may be stressed.

#3 ·
done a v8 lexus conversion for a customer couple yrs back
standard lexus v8 into a toyota 2wd hilux single to4 turbo and intercooler of ebay and a piggy back computer 12 pound boost made 480 bhp there bullit proof and loved down here theres a drag car runnin 28 pound boost standard engine 4 seasons old u will love them

#4 ·
thanx for the replies!!

Yesterday 10:16 PM NovaKaw650 Is the truck a Ranger or S.A. equivilent? Is the Lexus motor that much smaller than the other V-8's?
This sounds like a horrendously expensive project to me, not to mention the electronics nightmares.
If it's a Ranger, there are reasonably priced aftermarket kits available to swap in a Ford V-8. Whatever you do, the rest of the drivetrain may be stressed.

well its actually the model before the ranger, however a very similar shape!!
actually based on the mazda B-series trucks
as for the space, just got it back this morning from the panebeaters and rechecked the measurements, and have seen some with a chevy and ford motors in!!
the issues or getting a Ford of Chevy V8 in there is that the radiator has to move forward and that will mean a issues with the air-con radiator, and this is the holiday/tow vehicle and so aircon is needed, or will have to listen to BG moan all the way!! hehehe!!
the lexus motor is just a little smaller the the Ford/chev options, just a small enough difference to fit with out having to move the raditor, and have space for the electric fans and maybe a fixed/viscus fan also

as for the electronics, yep issue if you use the original Lexus systems, coded keys, speed sensors and the list goes on, hence why we are going with an aftermarket system, available locally!!

Today 01:20 AM Psi-700 done a v8 lexus conversion for a customer couple yrs back
standard lexus v8 into a toyota 2wd hilux single to4 turbo and intercooler of ebay and a piggy back computer 12 pound boost made 480 bhp there bullit proof and loved down here theres a drag car runnin 28 pound boost standard engine 4 seasons old u will love them
thanx!!

:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.