Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my buddy rides an 850 polaris and has been hounding me to race him. From what every one says, the 850 is the biggest baddest 4x4 atv out there... I cleaned him off the line...I mean really cleaned him like 3 atv lengths before he even started to gain on me. He didn't pass me until i was at about 70 km/h :( I've got a stage 3 VFJ clutch mod and im running 27x12 inch mud lites. I still have the stock clutch spring in my primary because the one john told me to get is back ordered. I am also getting my new 26" terra cross tires this week. would anyone be able to tell me if its gunna make a big difference when my new tires and spring is installed??

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
Both the tires and spring will help.
How far ahead was he at 100km/h?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like 3 quads maybe

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts
It will be close.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any ideas as to how i would stand up against a stock can am 800 with 28 inch tires? lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
you cant beat a can am on top end without clutch mods... IMO They top end well... You should beat it off the line though

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I beat up on a Can-Am 800 Renny today on my little 665. I got him by at least 2 bikes in a 300 foot race. :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have a stage 3 vfj clutch. is that moded enough?

·
Super Moderator
12,655 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
put stock tires on and give him a go.. terra cross tires are heavy as lead

·
Registered
346 Posts
Agreed... If your going to be racing you need to have the lightest tire combination you have. Unpsrung weight (tires/rims) are what kill your power. You should notice a huge difference with the stockers... Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they are:(? The problem is im the second owner of this quad, the first guy traded the stock tires and rims to the dealer for a ITP tire and rim combo kit. i dont mind the rims cuz i definatly dont like the looks of the stock chrome ones. but the tires are way to big, they are mudlites, 27x12x12 on the back and 10 wide on the front. I thought i heard the teracross were supposed to be light? i was gunna get 26x9 on the front and 11 wide on the back its still 1 inch bigger all around than stock but i kinda like the extra ground clearance and if i go back to 25s and put a lift kit on it will look dumb. what tires do u guys suggest? i dont want anything too aggressive but more than stock.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
they definately arent light, they are radials.. i had them on my brute and they were only 25s and mine was big bored with big carbs.. i put the stock wheels and tires on and it was like i gained a bunch more power.. if hes only getting you by 3 at 60mph with 27s you will probably beat him or atleast be beside him with stockers..

·
Registered
346 Posts
I dont know what kind of riding you are in to, but the ITP holeshot is the best all around tire IMO. They are one of the lightest radials you can find. I ran 25's on mine with a douglas cheap but light rim. Makes a world of difference. I run Duro's now which are pretty much the same as the bighorn, but a little bit lighter. They are somewhat heavier than the Holeshots, but a little bit more aggressive. Good luck..

·
Registered
346 Posts
Also.. If you are in to mud riding the holeshots are not for you. They hold their own, but when it comes to all out mud riding, they arent what you need. Its more of a trail tire

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok thanks for everyones advice. ill look into the hole shots, I dont do much mud ridding anymore so maybe they will do the trick

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
I killed a popo 850 two days ago. on a flat out drag race in front of my house. was maybe a 60 yrd dash, when i launched i pulled the front tires off the ground for about 20 ft, the popo just lifted the front but didnt wheelie, i had 1 quad lngth on him the whole time. we did it three times and still I won. and my machine is out dated, and not setup for drags, O and when i was lunching I had to stand and lean forward to keep from standing up high. but i will say the popo 850 has a nice ride to it, and the power steering is nice. other then that its still a popo.

this shows that in this race it was all rider and some machine. as i know i was hitting it harder off the line and holding it pinned all the way. the popo850 does put down some good power, but it lacks the punch of the v twin.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ur riding a v force though arnt u? If so they are faster than a brute arent they?

·
Super Moderator
9,448 Posts
Kujo is right...go back to the (very light weight) stock tires/rims and that will help you alot in a drag race.

·
Registered
139 Posts
put stock tires on and give him a go.. terra cross tires are heavy as lead
Exactly. Your 27" lites are probably lighter. 26x11 terra's are a whopping 32lbs a piece....just tire!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts