Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first: how do you remove powdercoating? all of the people i talked to said a dremel and wire brush were my best bet but id like to avoid using that on some of these parts. read somewhere that using some permatex gasket remover will work, anyone try this method?

second: mike told me when i bought the thing that using cam 2 isnt required but it is recommended. i went to buy some and saw that its a leaded fuel. will leaded fuel decrease the life of the engine?:confused:

·
Registered
640 Posts
How much and why are you removing ??? I've removed a little to weld a clamp for the steering dampner and I just used an electric grinder. You could use a grinder then go over it with a wire wheel on the grinder the use a wheel with sand-paper on it to make a better surface. I guess it depends on what you are planning to put on it after you remove the coating ???

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the parts with the powdercoating came with a polished aluminum look to them. id like to go back to that look. i was talking about completely removing the powdercoating.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
Sell or trade them to someone that might want them.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I was always told leaded fuel is better than non...something to do with lubrication.

·
Registered
711 Posts
first: how do you remove powdercoating? all of the people i talked to said a dremel and wire brush were my best bet but id like to avoid using that on some of these parts. read somewhere that using some permatex gasket remover will work, anyone try this method?

second: mike told me when i bought the thing that using cam 2 isnt required but it is recommended. i went to buy some and saw that its a leaded fuel. will leaded fuel decrease the life of the engine?:confused:
Go to Eastwood's web site . They sell a stripper that works on powdercoat.As for the leaded fuel , it is good for your engine.The lead lubricates the valves.You just can't use it in vehicles with catalytic converters because it will clogg them.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
leaded fuel also smells better :D

·
Premium Member
170 Posts

If you remove the powdercoating the metal will no longer be polished the parts were sandblasted before powdercoating to ensure a proper bond to the part.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
The polished metal look is probably the actual powdercoating. They make several colors that have the look of polished metal

Near Chrome and Xtreme Chrome are two of them.

My tank guard & steering stem is powdercoated with Extreme Chrome.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
All of the stuff on that machine is prm and it's not powdercoated unless you order it that way otherwise it is just polished.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of the stuff on that machine is prm and it's not powdercoated unless you order it that way otherwise it is just polished.

yea i like prms stuff, since removing the powdercoating isnt going to be a good option im prolly gonna have to order new stuff. so it looks like i might have some kawie green parts coming up for sale.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts

yea i like prms stuff, since removing the powdercoating isnt going to be a good option im prolly gonna have to order new stuff. so it looks like i might have some kawie green parts coming up for sale.
you could always send it out to me and i can powdercoat it chrome.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
didnt think of that, PM sent

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.