Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new here but i've rebuilt many engines both 2 and 4 stroke ----i have a 750 brute force right now that was partially locked up ---could hardly turn the crank shaft----upon removal and tear down found the bushing was cracked up and badly worn ---also you could see where the crank was wearing into the case on the bushing side -----rebuilt with new crank ---bearing --bushing ---seals --etc---after putting the cases back together and torque ---can not budge the crank at all ---used hot rods crank etc ---any ideas ????

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
When replacing the crank and especially the bushing you must cut the bushing to get the correct thrust/end play spec. Not doing so may have warped your case and rendered it useless. Lets hope not.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
can you be more specific
At the factory, each case halves is mated by setting the thrust or end play individually per case to a set spec. This was done by cutting the thrust bearing. This is why in the beginning that bushing wasn't offered. If it failed, you had to buy a complete case and you see this note in the service manual:

Some aftermarket people offered that bearing/bushing but it has to be set..at least to the crank you are using. The sign that yours wasn't done was the seizing of the crank as the case halves tightened together..as you stated yours is doing. This may not be the reason, but it is a good starting point. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the factory, each case halves is mated by setting the thrust or end play individually per case to a set spec. This was done by cutting the thrust bearing. This is why in the beginning that bushing wasn't offered. If it failed, you had to buy a complete case and you see this note in the service manual:

Some aftermarket people offered that bearing/bushing but it has to be set..at least to the crank you are using. The sign that yours wasn't done was the seizing of the crank as the case halves tightened together..as you stated yours is doing. This may not be the reason, but it is a good starting point. Hope this helps.
main bearing went in no problems---the bushing went in with no problems ----crank rotates freely in both ----when the cases are torq
ued the crank will not move ----almost as if the crank is too large----the crank is pressed in and bottomed out --same as the bearing -----the case on the bushing side had some wear from the oem crank and i can't believe that has anything to do with the new crank locking up
i'm splitting the cases again today to mc the crank and cases ---we will see

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE ----the bushing was causing the lock up problem ----after pressing it in another mm and cleaning up around the bushing opening the crank spins freely after torque down ---problem solved ----5 th brute motor i've rebuilt and never had this problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts