1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question most of you will probably think is stupid,
and the rest will ask why would you want to? :confused:
but here goes......:p
I was wondering if there was any case machining necessary in swapping out a KFX/2 wheel drive output shaft (rear output only)
for a Brute or Praire/4 wheel drive output shaft (front & rear output).
I am thinking of doing a custom KFX800 4x4.
I know there will be extensive fitment issues with the front diff, a-arms, spindles etc.etc.,
and would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy a used Prairie or Brute,
but I might end up with something better than either.....(doubtful I know)
or at least unique...
as you would have a hard time putting KFX plastics on either of the 4x's.....
and you guys thought MetalAlien was nuts!!!!
Anyway I was just daydreamin' after playin' Santa tonight...maybe I've had tooo much eggnog......Ed3

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I have a question most of you will probably think is stupid,
and the rest will ask why would you want to? :confused:
but here goes......:p
I was wondering if there was any case machining necessary in swapping out a KFX/2 wheel drive output shaft (rear output only)
for a Brute or Praire/4 wheel drive output shaft (front & rear output).
I am thinking of doing a custom KFX800 4x4.
I know there will be extensive fitment issues with the front diff, a-arms, spindles etc.etc.,
and would probably be cheaper in the long run to just buy a used Prairie or Brute,
but I might end up with something better than either.....(doubtful I know)
or at least unique...
as you would have a hard time putting KFX plastics on either of the 4x's.....
and you guys thought MetalAlien was nuts!!!!
Anyway I was just daydreamin' after playin' Santa tonight...maybe I've had tooo much eggnog......Ed3
I think that the engine machining would be the least of you worries. Someone was just putting V plastic on a prairie on here. Waaaaay easier.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm know you're right badhear, but I can't find any difference in the bearings or seals for the cases....except the oil seal replaces the plug. My point in the KFX plastics statement wasn't to say it wasn't easier...I know it would be....I guess it's all in how you look at it, and I am admittedly not seeing 100% at the moment...but if you put KFX plastics on a prairie....you still have a prairie.....but if you put the parts that make a prairie or brute 4x4 on a KFX you get a 4 wheel drive KFX:D at the moment it seems different to me.....ALOT more work and $ for admittedly not much mechanical difference....but I haven't heard of it being done......YET....;) Ed3

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
I'm know you're right badhear, but I can't find any difference in the bearings or seals for the cases....except the oil seal replaces the plug. My point in the KFX plastics statement wasn't to say it wasn't easier...I know it would be....I guess it's all in how you look at it, and I am admittedly not seeing 100% at the moment...but if you put KFX plastics on a prairie....you still have a prairie.....but if you put the parts that make a prairie or brute 4x4 on a KFX you get a 4 wheel drive KFX:D at the moment it seems different to me.....ALOT more work and $ for admittedly not much mechanical difference....but I haven't heard of it being done......YET....;) Ed3
You have my total support for what its worth. I know that it's not that big of a deal to punch out that plug in front of the motor to get the front output because some guys have put V motors in prairies I think. Setting up the chassis and drivetrain would kinda be a bitch though.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
there is a vid of a 4x4 v , try a search on here or youtube ....

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Here some pics on one

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, I'll admit this project has lost some of it's glamour. I don't know whether it's the lack of eggnog in my bloodstream, the amount of sleep I got last night, or the fact that it's been done before, but this has moved down the to do list substantially.:(
Ed3

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Here you go. :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
be easier to get one imported from europe

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks RPM....I found it on you-tube earlier...
Psi-700.....Are you trying to get my goat, cause it's workin';) I'll do it just to prove I can....
Darrell....It's only easier if you're a CITY boy who's got NO fab. skills:p!
Dr.Love.....I am at heart a 4x4 guy, meaning NOT a dirtbike guy.
I see the difference as one rides slow and uses a combination of common sense, logic, traction and brute force, to go places they shouldn't.
The other uses little, if any common sense or logic, less traction, and enough RPM, momentum, speed and sheer INSANITY to make up for the shortcomings in the other areas, to go places they should'nt.
I respect and admire the dirtbike guys, and there is NOTHING wrong in that mentality....I'm just too small of scrotum, and too big of body, too act that way!!!!!:D
Ed3

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First I need to get my clutch straghtened out....it's goin' to VFJ as soon as he returns my PM.
Ed3

1 - 15 of 15 Posts