Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple of carbon fiber guards that I am thinking of using on my V, but they need to be trimmed a little to fit. They are are made from thin, slightly flexible carbon fiber sheets with a high gloss finish. Any ideas on the best way to cut them? I've never worked with cf before and I really don't want to screw them up. Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
my best guess would be to use a dremel with a cutting wheel.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts
If it is thin enough, use a razor blade. A dremmell will work, but it may try to fray like a rope, so have some glue or resin available to recoat the cut edge

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a little too thick for a razor, so I'll probably tape it off and try the Dremel. I had to trim the hood a little and used a belt sander, but I've got to take too much off the guards to sand it off.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
true carbon fiber, razor won't do you any good, jig saw is marginal, cut off wheel is best

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would agree with a cut-off wheel, and sometimes called wafer-wheel too. Maybe good duct tape over it, draw your line and then cut it. I'm only guessing here I've never done it but it is what I would try. If you have a piece of scrap to try different techniques would be best.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jig saw can be pretty effective if you have a lot of radius curves. cut off wheel would be optimum. Be sure to wear a mask!!!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Redrum,
Why would it explode, I don't understand ???

·
Registered
61 Posts
On long cuts the blade gets real hot and will tend to come undone it can also clog with carbon fiber which will make it heat up. If you have to use a regular blade small short cuts letting the blade cool between now mind you there is no way to tell if it wont toss a piece of hot blade in your face somewhere. The absolute best way is with the diamond impregnated blade it is safer and cuts cooler. Safety comes at a price. The dust mask is imperitive as well and do it outside if possible with a fan blowing accross it to carry dust off.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I use cut-off wheels every day and have never seen one clog or explode. You should always wear a face shield and safety glasses when using them. You need to be sure that the blade is not damaged of course because the RPM is high. You are cutting with the edge of the blade so where do the clog up at on the blade ??? I'm not saying your wrong but maybe we are talking about two different things here. A thin fiber wheel on a 4 1/2" or 6" hand grinder is what I use. Wheels made to cut stainless steel work best because they last longer.

·
Premium Member
11,525 Posts
I'm sure they are talking about the 1" diameter cut off wheels you use on a dremel.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm sure they are talking about the 1" diameter cut off wheels you use on a dremel.

I wouldn't use that unless I had to. That probably is the confusion tho, thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts