Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend that's manufacturing carbon fiber parts and I asked him about doing the convertor cover in carbon fiber. After looking at the part we decided that it would be nearly impossible to replicate the part but he could make a slip on cover to go over that ugly black plastic pod. So I'm coming to you guys to see if there is enough interest for him to go ahead with the process. He's thinking he could make them for about $150 shipped (to the lower 48 of course).

What do you think? Any interest?

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
I'd like one or two :)

what's the issue with a real one...the compound curves?

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
One of the german members have some stuff in carbon fiber look..believe he did it by water transfer, it looks awesome.

Know anybody who can do this?

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
I tried to have a CF clutch cover made a few years back. We came to pretty much the same conclusion.

I sent one off to have it covered and the lady doing it sent me a pic of it. That was 3 years ago and I've never heard from her since. This is before the finish coat.

So, with that said, I would be Very interested in one. Put my name on the list and tell me where and when to send the money.:D

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
I'm thinking he actually means an overlay cover in CF, not a vinyl film lookalike as I think T was thinking.

I've seen where, you can just vacuum mold right over the piece and then cure it. Even thought about buying some Prepeg Cf and trying it myself. But then kinda defeats the whole purpose I wanted to achieve....lighter weight

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The biggest problem was the re-enforcing tabs near the mounting bolt holes as well as the deep groove on the inside for the gasket. And yes it will be a real carbon fiber over-lay. I was initially looking for weight-savings but instead just for WOW factor.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I know every oz adds up but what does a stock one weigh 2lbs if that?

You can't be that worried about the weight savings there are ya?

If so, I suspect you have peeled off your graphics from the plastics and have a full body wax too!
:p

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Same issues here. We even considered making a Billet mounting ring to deal with those issues, but the cost was going to be over the top.

·
Premium Member
22,489 Posts
I'm thinking he actually means an overlay cover in CF, not a vinyl film lookalike as I think T was thinking.

I've seen where, you can just vacuum mold right over the piece and then cure it. Even thought about buying some Prepeg Cf and trying it myself. But then kinda defeats the whole purpose I wanted to achieve....lighter weight
Unless you're finding a jockey, I could give you a few helpful tips on making the final weight lighter rather than worrying about a CF cover. :D

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
Same issues here. We even considered making a Billet mounting ring to deal with those issues, but the cost was going to be over the top.
I even had the ring figured out, got a guy with a water cutter

My biggest thing was...it would be pretty easy to do IF you could use a male mold. BUT i think you need a female mold to get the flawless glass look on the outside. Trying to lay the CF up in a female mold would be a real bitch. I spent hours researching it already and made a list of equipment and material, just not having any experience in it has kept me from trying

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I'd be interested in one maybe even two.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would be interested in one also

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Me also if they turned out good

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Same as above:D

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The Carbon Fiber looks awesome either way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts