Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new guy here with first post. I tryed serching first but the search is drawing blanks. I am planning on doing the hc pistons(probobly wiseco) and some good cams. I originally was planning on web 150i but have been hearing from someone that has built many fast brutes that the cwr 355 cam would be a better choice. I think the 450s would be too much for me since I am not really planning on doing much racing and want to change/modify as little as possible, but I want to get the most I can. I still want all the realiability as stock. I know this is a question and topic that has been discused time and time again, I just could not get anything when I searched. Thanks guys

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I would get a kit from one of the builders...piston,cams, and springs.

Talk with Big Kev. He is a dealer for AMR and FST

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply! The only thing is I have access to parts at cost through a shop so stuff like the pistons I could get for cheap. I plan on doing the install work myself but am just trying to figure out which combo to go with and wonder if anyone has run the web and cwr cams to compare them.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
I would go with the cwr cams myself..they are a custom web regrind.

Way better than webs 150i cams. If it was me I would get the deeper valve weisco pistons and the 450lift cwr cams.

·
Registered
79 Posts
doesnt fst also regrind web cams???

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
almost all the builder cams are WEB, they just have WEB grind them to their own specs

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
would the only difference btw the 355 and 450 be deeper cut pistons, or would i have to change more like springs and etc.? I have a good bit of hours on the bike so I will probably need to do retainers and seats anyway? Also, where would the difference be noticed on the 2 different ones, ie bottom end torque, top end etc. Thanks for the help guys, I know yall have talked about these kind of things till yall are blue in the face!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it correct to say the wisecos are 10.5:1 not 11.5:1? If so, i guess a different piston with a true 11.5:1 range would be better?

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Web doesnt make CWRs cams they use someone else and that is why you never see a CWR cam flakemit just doesnt happen,I have seen the cams come out of motors full of mud and not have flaking,also CWR has a New cam the 418 Lift Mach 3 cam this supose to be a really strong pulling cam all the way threw,also CWR only uses the outter springs from the dual kit on there cams also,not sure on this I havent done it may want to call Greg and talk with him he can help you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea i heard about the new 418 cams and how they are doing pretty good. I will probably op for the 355 for the simple fact that they have been out a while. I am really ready to get this done, I am just the type to over-research to make sure I get the best thing.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Web doesnt make CWRs cams they use someone else and that is why you never see a CWR cam flakemit just doesnt happen,I have seen the cams come out of motors full of mud and not have flaking,also CWR has a New cam the 418 Lift Mach 3 cam this supose to be a really strong pulling cam all the way threw,also CWR only uses the outter springs from the dual kit on there cams also,not sure on this I havent done it may want to call Greg and talk with him he can help you.
I have been using CWR CAMS for years with no problems in my personal machine. Have used in engines that we have rebuilt also. We have brother in Georgia that builds a lot of engines with CWR's and no problems. When you tear down for something else upgrades, etc. the CWR cams look like you just installed them. I have the first MACH3 cams in mine. We have been working with Greg for a while trying to get the best cut.The guy that invented the MS MOD is my partner in this so you know he knows a little about what he's doing.These were cut to be the best of both the 355's & 450's. They are! My brute now runs 8.20's on motor in 1/8 and before it was 8.50's This machine is still a full trail machine at 660 lbs. and trail rode a lot with no issues. I would not pay a builder what he wants for a kit just for him to get the parts together and sell you. Mine has shelf weisco pistons and CWR cams and rest is bolt ons. I spray a 40 wet shot on this thing when I need to and have for a while and no problems, totally reliable. Call Greg @ CWR 1-717-637-1907

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kelly;
Randy had my bike earlier this year doing some tuning on it. Him and John are the ones got me interested in the CWRs. Do you have the new 418s in yours?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I believe Kelly is running the 355 CWR's correct me if I'm wrong. I almost got the 450's for my 665 but was told they are a topend cam. I ended up going with FST stage 1's and am now looking for stage 2's. Anyone wanna buy my stage 1's?

·
Registered
930 Posts
I believe Kelly is running the 355 CWR's correct me if I'm wrong. I almost got the 450's for my 665 but was told they are a topend cam. I ended up going with FST stage 1's and am now looking for stage 2's. Anyone wanna buy my stage 1's?
Like I said above I have the MACH3's in mine. I have the first set that was cut for test. We have been working with Greg @ CWR on this for a while. I have had the 355's and Randy in Ga. had the 450's These are the best of both.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kelly, did you have to modify any thing else when you swaped from the 355 to 418 or was it a dirrect swap? What were the gains from from switching? More low end, mid, high end....? Thanks man

·
Registered
930 Posts
Kelly, did you have to modify any thing else when you swaped from the 355 to 418 or was it a dirrect swap? What were the gains from from switching? More low end, mid, high end....? Thanks man
Just swap out. Mid to top gain very noticable. It gave me 2 tenths in 1/8 mile on motor.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts