Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time owner.

2003 Prairie 650. Will a dead/low battery affect the performance of the machine? IE, will it not run right, spit, sputter, and back fire? Not engage 4x4?

Thx

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
No, If the battery provides enough voltage to start the machine, it is ok. It sounds like you may be in limp mode for the belt.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, If the battery provides enough voltage to start the machine, it is ok. It sounds like you may be in limp mode for the belt.
It won't start on the battery, only the pull start and when it runs, the dash fluctuates and does not read the proper speed or anything. However, the belt light on the dash is on, what needs to be done? Does it need a new belt?

Thx

·
Registered
379 Posts
belt

Is the belt light flashing?
If so then chucked is right. You will need to check your belt for service then reset the belt switch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Is the belt light flashing?
If so then chucked is right. You will need to check your belt for service then reset the belt switch.
Yes, it is either flashing, or on constant, I don't remember. I had the belt cover off and cleaned up all the dust and dirt that was in there. The belt looked good and the switch was in the on position. Would the bad/dead battery make the belt like come on? I am also having issues with the EBC continuing to make noise after the key switch is off. It makes a chirping sound every 4 seconds or so, infinitely until the battery is disconnected. Wondering if this dead battery is the culprit of all these gremlins?

·
Registered
379 Posts
looks

You will need a good battery for the reset. If the belt light is flashing the machine is in limp mode .....the engine rpms are limited, it won't go into 4x4. This is caused by one of two reasons. It will go into limp mode every 100 hours or if the belt becomes damaged or too loose. The belt switch is fliped to the off position if the belt has a problem. The belt needs to be inspected and replaced if its worn too much or if it has damage. If the belt is still good it may just need to be adjusted (tightened). If the belt is ok in all aspects (is in limp mode because of the 100 hour check)then you just need to reset the belt switch to the "on" position before installing the cover then go through the procedure for getting it out of limp mode. Again you will need a good batt for the reset because the electronics need the voltage without the engine running to be completed. You need to verify that it is in limp mode though.

When you took the converter cover off was the belt switch in the off position?

·
Registered
379 Posts
batt

I would first resolve the bad battery problem and that may fix everything.................then check your charging system. Could be why the batt is down...............

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will start with a new battery first. The belt switch was in the "ON" position when I removed the cover. It is definitely in limp mode and the belt light is flashing b/c the RPM's are limited and it will not engage 4x4.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the switch was in the "on" position then it would be in limp because of the 100 hour service check.
Could be, I'll have to check the hour meter. I don't remember what it is at.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Battery

If your speedo is not giving u the proper reading and 4x4 is not working it's probably your battery or your charging system. chucked seems to think all a battery does is start and run your machine and pretends to be light years ahead of everyone else. Everything is not solved by resetting your belt light. Your machine will like run like crap too. I'd get a new battery.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Thats not how I think at all. If the machine starts off the battery, its more then likely ok. His wont start off the battery, so he needs one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put a new battery in and pretty much solved all the electrical gremlins except the EBC module making that noise well after the key is turned off. I also reset the belt light by a procedure I found on the Internet. The belt and belt area all checked out OK. Probably need to get a EBC module, I just remove the fuse when the unit is parked and it shouldn't drain the battery.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I might add that they don't always go into limp mode at 100 hours. My 2006 never went into limp mode and I had over 200 hours on it when I got rid of it. It did just go off on my 2008 a few weeks ago at about 135 hours.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
when i bought my '02 it had a dead battery, and the digital display did the funky things you described. mine doesn't have a belt light, it has a low fuel light instead.

·
Registered
379 Posts
actuator

I put a new battery in and pretty much solved all the electrical gremlins except the EBC module making that noise well after the key is turned off. I also reset the belt light by a procedure I found on the Internet. The belt and belt area all checked out OK. Probably need to get a EBC module, I just remove the fuse when the unit is parked and it shouldn't drain the battery.

When you turn the key off every time.........the engine brake actuator will reset..................

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you turn the key off every time.........the engine brake actuator will reset..................
Yes, it does that. But it continues to make a "chirp" or grinding sound every few seconds, well after the key is shut off.

·
Registered
379 Posts
cover

You may be right..........That malfunction may have run your batt down............so you may be back to square one...........Did it do the chirping before you initially took the converter cover off?
Check your digital display.........see if the 2x4......4x4 is flashing alternately (showing an error).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may be right..........That malfunction may have run your batt down............so you may be back to square one...........Did it do the chirping before you initially took the converter cover off?
Check your digital display.........see if the 2x4......4x4 is flashing alternately (showing an error).
Yes it did it before I took the cover off. 2x4 4x4 is not flashing. I removed the EBC fuse and the noise stops and I am monitoring the battery voltage overnight.

·
Registered
379 Posts
troubleshoot

This is from my manual on troubleshooting.........it might help..........

Kawasaki Engine Brake Control and
Selectable 2WD/4WD System Malfunction:
Actuators failed
Speed sensor short or open
Forward/Reverse detecting sensor short or
open
Actuator controller failed
Controller 10A fuse blown
Battery disconnected

1 - 20 of 23 Posts