Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to go get my new brute Saturday, got a home equity loan out for 15K, replacing the boiler in the house also, Thought I would swipe my Visa to get some airline milage and they informed me they wont swipe for the full amout of 8 thousand because They get charged 3%. They could only swipe 4. I was going to get my parents a trip to Hawaii with the mileage. I called the other dealers in the town and asked if they would let me "swipe" my card for the full amount and they said no problem. In my town there are two Yamaha dealers,one Can'am one polaris, ona artic cat, one suzuki, one honda and ONE Kawasaki! There is two Kawasaki in Anchorage about 350 miles away. I'll be making some calls tomorrow. Have any one else heard of this "3%" Bull? As it is they want 7699.99 for it and its a 09 650I. They are offering a free Warn winch and of all things no mount for it. I believe 3% of 8000. is about 240. This has pissed me off!:mad::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed::pissed:

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
They do get charged 3% but that is pretty expensive for an 09' 650

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had the cash in hand but I wanted the airmiles too,my dealer didn't like having to pay the 3% but he sucked it up for the total price.:D

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
And where in Fairytale land do we think that these miles are coming from. Blame the CC company or just our own desire to get something for nothing instead of the dealer.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
They don't say anything about 3% to the guy next to you that is buying a $20 part on plastic...
If they can't make a buck from their financing, they don't want to mess with you. That sounds like the type of dealer who would try to complain if you paid cash also.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
They don't say anything about 3% to the guy next to you that is buying a $20 part on plastic...
That sounds like pretty easy math. Also the mark up on that piece of plastic has about 5 times the mark up as a bike does for the dealer. The only reason to sell bikes is to sell parts and service.

If they marked the bikes up 4% and then offered y'all a 3% discount for cash, you'd be running around with your hands in the air going "la la la".

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Ya, I understand the difference in percentages of markup on different stuff... You're right, it is easy math. I guess it's the whole principal of the thing from a customers point of view that gets me riled up.
I would love to find a business now that has the customer interests in mind.

·
Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Ya, I understand the difference in percentages of markup on different stuff... You're right, it is easy math. I guess it's the whole principal of the thing from a customers point of view that gets me riled up.
I would love to find a business now that has the customer interests in mind.
I understand what you're saying, but there is a convenience for the consumer and an opportunity for the merchant. Both have to pay for it.

What I am saying is that the dealer "was" being honest by not trying to hide the cost from the cash payers. I have owned buisnesses where ther was a cash and a credit price. It just has to be that way when your markups are so small.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have to go with dealer on this, why should he pay the $240 cause you want to use a card?

Credit card fees are a rip off from the card companies.

·
Registered
711 Posts
What was said earlier about the money being made off of the parts and service of the machines is true.Actual mark up on the quard is not that much.The credit card companies charge the dealer 3 % (more if American Express).Although they make most of their money off of the parts and service,they have to make some money on the sale.If they cut the price to get people to buy in this economy then there isn't enough profit left to cover the credit card fee and still make it worth selling them.
I worked at a Harley shop and the owner wanted to be everyone's friend.He would cut everyone a huge discount and then let them put it on their cc.He is now working in the parts department of a dealership and the bike shop is just a memory.
Most dealers want to do right by you but don't forget they are in businees the make a living not friends.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
It seems to be the way our country is going. It is EVIL to make money. If you are making money, you must be Screwing someone to do it. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I say make the trip down to Eagle River and hit up Team CC, the parts department is not the best, but I had no issues with them when I got my Brute. When I financed, I got a loan through Alaska USA and ran my card to buy the beast. They were more than happy to do so. And a trip to A town to warm up a little couldn't hurt either...;)

·
Super Moderator
12,637 Posts
I have to go with dealer on this, why should he pay the $240 cause you want to use a card?

I'm with Hunterworks on this one.
The dealer markup on ATV's is not very big.

·
Registered
375 Posts

I'm with Hunterworks on this one.
The dealer markup on ATV's is not very big.
+2 here too. Most people can usually "bargain" to get a good deal solely due to the enormous amount of data that we can aquire from the internet. Let's face it, we can find out within seconds who paid what and where. Gone are the days of the local guy getting all the business. Sure, service means a lot, but the bottom line is that we as consumers {at least some} are willing to drive {far!} to get a deal, and when we don't get the same deal as some other guy, we feel slighted. That's ok...just realize that the Dealer may not accept any more "cost cutting" for the convenience of a credit card. They have to make money someplace, otherwise they won't be around to sell product. I personally don't begrudge anyone for making a fair markup. I actually paid a little MORE from my recent Dealer {and it was my choice}, because of his reputation for service. Hopefully I won't need it....:)

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
maybe check withe the CC company, might even find that they are not allowed to charge extra for swiping the CC!!
know that this side Visa does not allow that, and we can report the shop/dealer!!

the thing they shop/dealer, has the benefit of the security of accepting cards, money is in his account straight away!!

would of been pissed off too, and have been when confronted with that situation!!

:D

·
Registered
711 Posts
maybe check withe the CC company, might even find that they are not allowed to charge extra for swiping the CC!!
know that this side Visa does not allow that, and we can report the shop/dealer!!

the thing they shop/dealer, has the benefit of the security of accepting cards, money is in his account straight away!!

would of been pissed off too, and have been when confronted with that situation!!

:D
It is not a matter of charging more for the use of the card as it is giving less of a discount usually.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's the kicker, Team CC said out the door 7642.00 including a $69 2500# Warn winch, a Warn mount. He's giving me 300 off the price, and Kawi is giving a 250 off the top as well. And said I can Swipe my card for the Full amount. the local dealer mention nothing of the 250 from kawi. My friend is driving down their next week to see some family, he said he would haul it up for me for my X-mas present:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
yes, anytime u use a credit card @ a business they get charged for it. we get charged a certain percentage @ our business evertime someone uses one. it pays for the machine/line fees/etc. running a business isnt free!

dealers around here do the same thing you mentioned. w/ that amount of money, they are losing profit, losing profit is bad for your business.

but, i think they could have come up w/ a compromise. either that, or deposit a check from your credit card into your account, then give them the cash...

btw, thats too much for a 650, u cant get a 750 for less than that.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Paid $7250 otd for my 750 with warn winch and 4 year warranty...just sayin......

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Alaska is known to have higher Prices.
Profit, don't kid yourself, The Dealers do very well or they wouldn't be doing it, the avg on a BF is a $1000 profit.
There is a Current Factory incentive till 12/31/09, $500 rebate on all 09/10 BF750s, less for the BF650s. This incentive goes directly to the Dealer, some Dealers will pass it on to the buying Customer, some don't.
The 3% charge really hurts some of the Dealers on the big charge amounts. You could of paid the xtra $240 and I bet the Dealer would of let you charge the whole amount. All dealers are different, they have a certain profit margin that they have to meet on each unit.
Do your homework with the Dealers, also know first hand if any Factory or other Rebates are in Effect, then make the Deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts