Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the valve cover off motor, found out that the right rear threads were gone on the bridge and the bolt was snapped so I'm trying to find the replacement parts. The two bolts that hold the clamp on the main block are fine. When I go to websites to find parts the bolt is always listed for sale, however the clamp in which the threads are gone i can never find for sale..any help for a place I can get this part for cheap is appreciated.

pics so u get a better idea

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In the first pic the cam holder on the right is supposed to look like the left one, it needs obvious replacement because the top cover will leak oil if that right rear bolt is not threaded in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv heard getting just the cap its self can be a bit hard. i might just fill the hole with JB weld and put the top back on with the new bolt, wait for it to harden in correct position and screw it out. Then when i put the rubber washer down on the top it will tighten like normal because on the play. u guys think this would work as a "quick fix"?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the bridges are matched to the head? If so, that changes things, drastically.

If not, I'd just unbolt it and buy a new one on eBay and call it a day. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-04-Kaw...Parts_Accessories&hash=item416323fac5&vxp=mtr

See if you can't make the guy an offer on the 1 you need.

If they are matched -

Personally, and this is probably the wrong idea... but I'd just pull the other 2 bolts, remove the bridge and dremel a slot into it. From there, I'd pop it into a vice and heat it up some, hoping someone used red loctite that caused the bolt to snap, and that it wasn't cross-threaded.

From there, I'd use an impact driver to remove it and then repair all the damage after with some JB weld and the same dremel.

If its cross-threaded, I'd take it to a machine shop. That's a hardened bolt in a block of softer metal (Isn't it aluminum?). From all my years working on paintball guns, I know how much of a PITA that is to do without the right equipment, and you're probably going to ruin the aluminum if you can fill the hole with some tig beads, and drill / re-tap it.

Any drill bit I try using my cheapo drill press or a hand drill is going to want to wander into the surrounding metal and cause all sorts of damage. I'd feel better with someone using a CNC or a drill press that is capable of going through that bolt without damaging the bridge.

I'm surprised you couldn't you just get by with 3 bolts, and some RTV. It's only the top cover, and if you cover up the hole, and toss some RTV on the gasket, it should still hold and seal, no? Granted, its not the correct repair...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts