Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2006 kfx400 that is hard to start and once it does start. Runs great but if you run it really hard through all the gears and pull in the clutch while coasting it will die on you and not wanna start back up. any thoughts on this, the carb is nice and clean and the plug looks great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Valve Adjustment ? how long has it been? i know on my KFX when the valves get tight its a problem to start , you might want to check yours

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i havent had the wheeler very long but who knows. i bought it off a guy used. and where about in AR you from, im from around Mena originally

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i checked the valves today and the intake valves are less that .10mm. the are really tight. also the exhaust are tighter than .20 mm. i put eerything back together and it still wont fire. i know the valve are too tight. do yall think i should even try and adjust them or should i just get a new set of valves and adjust those??? do yall reckon the valves are dished and how would i tell without pulling the head. thanks in advance

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey JD,
I live in Dequeen, Im not sure about the KFX 400 motor but if it has adjustable valves like the 700 then you will have an adjustment on top of the rocker , if there is adjustment left then you should try adjusting them before assuming the worst, tight valves will defenatly cause hard starting and performance issues

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok update: i got my hot cams shim kit in today and adjusted the valves within spec. now it still wont crank, but occasionally it will pop but still no start. im sure my timing is right. i double and triple checked it. any other ideas on what it may be?? i was thinking since the intake valves were so low "IE touching the bucket" that now since they are in spec, that I may have more air going into my motor right? and since its cooler now, that maybe the bike is running lean on the pilot jet thats why it wont fire off? any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another update. i think my valves are cupped at least on the intake side. Pulled the head and valves out. How can i tell if the valve is cupped. also how can i tell if the valve guides need to be serviced. It didnt smoke on start up or anything. and it didnt use oil. Also should i get the valve seats recut with the new valves or just call it good? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
o i also forgot to say i tried to pull start it behind the truck and no dice on that either? i feel dumb because i didnt check the compression before pulling it apart but i think its a valve issue

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sounds like time to just rebuild the whole thing. Put a big bore on it :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i dont really wanna put a big bore in it. the thing is i dont ride this bike at all. my wife did ride it before she moved up to a 450. im just trying to get it running good again so i can sell it or trade it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts