Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a truck. I have been reading a lot... and, I would rather get something a bit older, and pay cash, than finance something newew with less miles. Anyway, from what i can tell... I need to be looking at 99-02 fords.. crew cab... and if I can find one, a Dodge as well.... it looks like the Chevy's had issue until 04 or so... and they are $$$$$

is that about right? I found a few local f-250 and 350;s.. crw cab etc....

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I really like the older fords with the 7.3 TD. I believe the 7.3s last year was 02 so all the bugs were worked out. The 6.0 lays down some serious power. If you find a good reliable one they are killer. A friend a work just had his 04 6.0 torn down to the block. He chipped it with the Edge programmer and blew headgaskets. He said the coolant damaged a bunch of stuff.

I also like the 92-96 body style with the 7.3. Cab ergonomics are better in the new body style for me at least. I believe the 350s had a straight front axle which really helps with tire wear. The TTB likes to eat front tires so you have to stay on top of rotations.

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
The Ford 7.3 is what I assume is what your looking for is a great motor. Even the 6.0 are good as long as you leave them alone and they where built post July 2004. The trannies are the bigest problem. Alot of people who buy diesel's drive and treat them like a gasoline car. There in lies the probleme with used diesel's. I have a 2004 6.0 since new, and did all the service at proper intervals, It has been good to me. I did only K&N intake as aftermarket and use cetane additive from ford regularly.

Here is a good sight to go to if you have not seen it yet. It is the Powerstroke version as Kawiriders is for the "V". Good luck to you.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 7.3 went halfway thru 2003 on certain models.I would go with the 2000 - 2003 because the 99 had some issues with programing and the airbox.If you are going to jump right into mods than I wouldn't worry about the 99 problems then.The 99 and 00 had forged connecting rods then they changed to powdered metal so once again it depends on what you plan on doing to it.

·
Premium Member
23,817 Posts
mines a 99 350 DRW CC 4WD

the only weak point is the trannie. Smoked mine about 7 yrs ago. BUT, that's pulling my dozer, trailer and dozer push 20,000, so it was inevitable:lol:

have right at 200,000 miles and it still pulls my equipment with no problem

·
Premium Member
22,490 Posts
You're on the right track. My 03 6.0 still has original head gaskets in it. But ya, look for an 02 with the 7.3 for used.

Also, the 93 Dodge Cummins seems to get retarded (great) fuel mileage. Not 92 or 94... 93.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm with Camo.... I own a 93 dodge (2wd) and get consistant 22mpg. The Banks turbo kit gives good power, and good torque. When pulling a boat over the passes around here, I get a pretty consistant 17-18 mpg. Top end speed is about 65-70, so your not going anywhere fast, but pulling is no problem. Check out the forums on the 98 dodge as well... if you can find the 12 valve trucks, they are darn near bullet proof. I'm a fan of the 5 or 6 spd manual trans, especially in the earlier trucks, the auto trans is definitely the weak link

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
go with 01-02 on a 7.3 psd, earlier years had trans solenoid issues

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to get a crew cab. What I really wanted is a diesel excursion, but, from what I have been reading, they ahd some crappy springs and I would need to swap em out for stock f250 or 350 springs.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I really like the 00-02 F250 with the 7.3....If your could find a nice clean one, I'd grab it. I had an 06 F250 with the 6.0. I put 15,000 miles on it before I traded back to a gasser....I miss it a bit, but for all my short drives, running errands and stupid crap, it made the most sense, plus I never got the toy hauler I wanted or anything else heavy enough to justify the big oil burner. The fuel mileage in the Ford was horrible, not to mention the extra $$ for fuel and additive and the $80 oil changes (my own labor). 3 more payments on my 07 GMC and its all mine :) I've looked around at new GMC HDs with the max and Allison, and all loaded up, it stickered at $54,000 and change...:eek: ridiculous!!!!!!!! The 06 Ford was $45,000, but I bought it for $37,000....still crazy....

I'd love another diesel, but I don't need a 3/4 to 1 ton truck and all that extra weight and girth, so I'm drooling over the rumors of the 1/2 diesels coming out. GM has a 4.5 liter duramax 99% complete and on the shelf....It would have been in the 2010 1500 if they hadn't gone bankrupt....Hopefully they will revive the project soon.

·
Premium Member
6,975 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm with MM on this one...the '04.5 - '06 have the cummins "610" motor..I have an 05 and get the same fuel mileage he said, and thats with Big Ass wheels and tires. It went down to around 19-20mpg after I put the wheels on but then I put a BHAF on it and it went right back up....so a stocker would benefit even more. I've pulled 20,000+ lbs a few times before and it takes it on the chin with a grin.

The only bad thing is the little stuff keeps breaking or falling apart...the outside temp guage and info cluster keep falling from the ceiling, my clearance lights on top keep getting a short in them, and you can pull the O.S. handles off with ease.

But the motor is great. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another one.
I'm not trying to talk you into a dodge or out of a ford, just tryin to let you know some of my experience with it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
There is no denying the Cummings engine ,just watch out for the tranny when buying it used.That was the weak link on them.The Cummings made more power than the tranny could handle.If you are looking at the fords ,like I said before get the 7.3. Neither the 6.o or the 6.4 can compete with the 7.3's mileage.Mine is chipped with 35 inch tires and I can still get 18-19 on the highway pulling a trailer with two sleds and gear.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
yea to the 6.0.
i have an 03 in my excursion,the other night i had a mishap and crushed both inlet and outlet pipes on my muffler after i ripped it from the frame..and yes alcohol was involved.lol. anyway losing the muffler helped power alot,then i took the cat off and straight piped it.holy crap it made power down low.and if ya get one i have a 3 level bullydog chip for sale lol

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
not one person has said check out a gm.. kind of suprised.. from what I have read the duramax is a nice truck, especially when they went to the 6 spd allison tranny.

I am thinking of heading here next week to do some test drives.. they seem to have the most reasonable prices around.. I know, most have a lot of miles on em... but dang... talk about some cheap trucks..

http://www.illinoisautobrokers.com/

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
not one person has said check out a gm.. kind of suprised.. from what I have read the duramax is a nice truck, especially when they went to the 6 spd allison tranny.
My dad bought an 06 Chevy 2500 with the Duramax and Allison shortly after I got my Powerstroke....I wished I had paid more for the GM...I still might have it. He gets way better mileage, plus it keeps getting better as he gets it broke in, plus its much quieter and doesn't sound like its going to throw a rod on a cold start, plus he never uses additive and never had a problem with gelling, and mine was in the shop several times thawing out and I used Power Service religiously. He pulls a 18,000 lb 35' fiver and it does it very nicely. The tranny braking or whatever it is on the Allison is very nice. It downshifts by itself and really helps slow the rig down. Nice truck for sure.

I'm not bashing the FORD, I just didn't have good luck with it...the fuel gelling issue pissed me off so bad, I got rid of it....It gets very cold here in Iowa and I couldn't stand having a very expensive truck that I wasn't sure if it would run on the way to work in the morning. I had it on a block heater on a timer and although it would start and idle fine....point it into the wind on sub zero days and it had issues. I suppose I got some bad fuel a couple times and it was my fault, but the whole experience torqued me off....I don't know how the canadians do it with the cold they have.....maybe never shut them off in the winter?? Maybe run Howe's additive, or maybe just have a better supply of winter grade diesel, not sure...

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Nice find on the Illinois Auto Brokers site...looks like some good deals! Pretty close to here.....do you need any KFX parts since you will be close? :D

I've got a spare complete motor, Wheels and tires, plastics, Pipe, etc :)

·
Premium Member
11,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nah, don't need any parts that I can think of... thanks though.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts