Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im at a loss for words to say the least. sunday we took the v's out and yes the 6* key made a slight difference in my 300', how much im not sure. but greg and i are still being beaten by a less modded v. billys bike is as follows, 5 hole mod, hmf's, wieghted un cut clutch with o/b spring and dyno tuned. his bike wouldnt dyno correctly with a 12 hole. so its jetted accordingly for his mods. my mods are in my sig, dixietuffs are similar sith the exception of a stg 3 clutch w/ wieghts. wtf??? he still beats us every run.

next dilemma i think this bike will never run with a piped/filtered/jeeted 450 unless of rider error, i beat one and it was because of rider error, trx450. so i believe if the orange bike cant cut it ones getting sold. yes the bike is fun to ride, but seems to lack against almost every other quad in the 300', or at least to date. should i have my bike tuned? or buy/borrow a meter? or is this just the harsh reality of an overwieght quad?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Is everyone jetted correctly with a A/F meter? I see Billy was dyno tuned. Possible his pipe is just outperforming what your running. Another thing is clutching and that can be big. Just because your friend has a stage 3 does not make it fast. If your clutched wrong even a big bore will be slow.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
Tuning maybe. I tuned mine with an LM1 meter after adding a Muzzy. Have never had any problems with 450's. This was even before I had my clutch done. I just had a Pink spring. With stock airbox,Muzzy,Pink Spring and tuned 12.7 I was beating a bolt on LTR450 by a bike and a half to two bikes every time.

Now since I added a Twin air powerflow kit,02 Prairie Stacks,Crossovers,16 3/4" holes,drilled jets to 5/64" with 42 pilots,and VFJ stage 3 clutch I beat the 450's by 3-4 bikes and more then that if they dont get a good start. I think I will leave my V the way it is until after Monkey Mayhem if I can make it so more people will see it run before I bbk it.:)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the difference between dixietuffs bike and billys is gregs bike has a cut clutch, and upp crossover. jetted to what vfj told him which is the forum standard 42 pilots and 200 mains. whats an inexpensive afr meter? i cant afford an lm1.

and none of our bikes touch our buddies yfz. sparks exhaust and jetted, thats it. hes getting his flywheel lightened and lightwieght sprocket sets.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Aaron, that's the harsh reality of the heavy V, they need some work to hang with the 450's, unless you have a freak quad like KFXHR.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i know factory freaks are out there. billys bike is one of em, the guy who dynoed his bike is a certified power commander dealer/tuner so he knows what hes doing when it comes to tuning.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
To be honest, you're not really gaining much on your green V by using Yoshi pipes. They make hardly any HP above stock.

Yoshi doesn't even recommend a jetting change when you use their pipes on the V, that says something right there.

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
What kind of terrain are you racing on?

I can't say that I have beat them all but I have beat my fair share of 450's with pipe/filter/programmer on wet sand at the dunes with my current mods (green V). I think a lot has to do with the holeshot in those short races. I can usually get a good jump on them because I have zero wheelie problem ever since installing the swingarm extension and can run WOT right off the start. In a longer race the 450's that I have beat in 300' would probably chase me down and pass me.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
300' sand drags is what we run. they run 24" extremes, i run 24" edges.

someone posted a while back that yoshi recommends you run a lil on the fat side, and they were told this by a tech. i guess ill try n sell my yoshis to try something else. id like to snag that ct pipe that bandas sellin

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
part of your problem is the Edges.

Between Dale and I we have more than a few a/f meters you could borrow

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
also, save up and get you a Muzzy Super Pro, that way if you build the motor at a later date, you're all set

·
Premium Member
10,243 Posts
300' sand drags is what we run. they run 24" extremes, i run 24" edges.
I think the Edges are some of the problem as well. They are not intended for drag racing.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also, save up and get you a Muzzy Super Pro, that way if you build the motor at a later date, you're all set
i am building a 730 for your get together but in my orange v. im pickin up an exhaust for that v as well. were pullin that engine out and apart over my christmas break to see whats up with the tranny and sending my jugs to jones brothers for boring and honing. there an old engine shop in n.o. thats built many drag engines for guys i know with 8 sec drag cars.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
very cool

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hopefully itll satisfy, if not ill try nitrous i guess

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Code:
[COLOR=lime]04 kfx700 kawi green, dual yoshi pipes, k&n filter, dalton bl/or spring, prm desert bumper, prm desert grab bar, 12 hole mod,ms mod, 5/64 mains, 42 pilots, clipped springs, shimmed needles n polished slides, dynatek cdi, 6* key, rox anti vibe risers, tag x5 hi bend bars, Camo's shorty shifter[/COLOR]
this is just my 2c worth might work for you or might not!!

1st as already mentioned, Muzzy pro makes best power!!
then self am not a fan of the K&N filters self would go with the twin air power flow kit!!
send the clutch to VFJ, you guys are so lucky that side of the lake, easy access to VFJ!!
you already have the 12 hole mod and the MS mod, maybe it needs a good jetting workout!!

again like said before, on 300' about 97m 450 are not an issue, after that believe most will come past!!

have a look at what I have on my V ''sig'' and check out the video
those can ams all have exhaust filter and TFIs(similar to the PC )

dont give up on the V

as for jets there is another option, have a look at the Webber jets, they work and are cheaper, that is what I use, and work on the same numbers as the stock jets!!
self do not believe in drilling jets, just me!!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im not giving up, im just annoyed at the situation. and ive been told the k&n lets alot of trash thru but it was in a box full of new parts he gave me when i bought it. ive got a muzzy can gauge will make me a set of head pipes for. if i can sell my yoshis and afford the difference i will. i like how they sound and maybe i should get the jetting right and leave this bike alone and concentrate on the other quad instead.

·
Banned
11,110 Posts
K&N's are okay if they have a prefilter on them.

·
Vendor
15,419 Posts
#1 sounds like jetting to me. there is NO WAY IN HELL that a V doesn't run right with the 12 hole mod. something is overlooked or setup wrong. something easily overlooked for some reason. like a carb vacuum line blocked, kinked or something??

#2 running 200 mains with UPP crossovers is LEAN and will not make any power. #43 drillbit. it;s about a 230-235 main if you use the factory pro jets

#3 you said he has a stage 3 clutch with weights?? what weights? epi, dalton, stock?? they should be stock unless it's a NOS bike or a major built bbk.

some are faster than others.

How about a valve adjustment?

or does the other guy have something done he isn't telling you?? sneak in a set of cams or something?? I've done this for guys before and it drives their friends nuts.

John

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my jets are 5/64, and blows fuel on the grab bar, could be the bit wobbled when i drilled them out. wieghts im not sure, but his clutch engages hard as shit. im not real sure but i guess ill just keep tinkering and tinkering.

and no i dont have a prefilter, ive been told i need one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts