Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious. Do the most of the dirt drag tracks that you guys go to allow studded tires (or picks)?

I have been kicking around making a up a set of tires with snowmobile studs in them pretty much just to put up for sale but I wanted to see if most places will even allow them first. If I make a set it will give me an idea of how much time I have involved if I do some weight reduction to the tires also. Then I can give better estimates on cost if anybody here would want a set done.

Also, what weight would be good for a 25x12-9 on a 9x9 wheel? What do your studded Cheng Shins weigh? These would obviously be heavier because of the weight of the studs.

·
Premium Member
3,799 Posts
going from memory, shens weight about 12 lbs on 9's, add two lbs for the screws.... takes form 15 to 30 min per tire, with a good screw gun, depending on how often you stopped to put bandaids on your hands..:eek:

screw are $75 per K, from Dick ATV. They can be easily removed.

If your motor is modded, you can't run in the lower classes anyway, so alot of the mod, super and open classes allow screws... but not all.

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
going from memory, shens weight about 12 lbs on 9's, add two lbs for the screws.... takes form 15 to 30 min per tire, with a good screw gun, depending on how often you stopped to put bandaids on your hands..:eek:

screw are $75 per K, from Dick ATV. They can be easily removed.

If your motor is modded, you can't run in the lower classes anyway, so alot of the mod, super and open classes allow screws... but not all.

I think the price of the holiday screws went way up!!!!!!!!!!
call bombman to find out

There are 3 tracks that we go to and only one of them will allow screws this year.

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am talking about studs, not screws.

Anyway, I was just curious if they are even allowed where most people race dirt tracks. I am considering making up a set to see what it takes and then putting them up for sale but I don't really want to do it if most tracks won't even allow the studs.

The would look similar to this but probably on 25x12-9 tires and a different stud pattern.

·
Premium Member
9,448 Posts
ok...dumb question time. What is the different between a stud and a screw? I assume the screw just screws in from the outside of the tire...does the stud screw in from the inside of the tire and pokes thru to the outside? If so, how do you keep the tire from leaking with studs in them?

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are the screws (most commonly used in ice racing). They are screwed in from the outside of the tire.

These are the studs. You have to use a snowmobile track cutter drill to make holes in the tires. The studs go in from the inside out and are held in by the backer plate & nut. They are MUCH longer and will never come out.

There are different types also. This one is a chisel-point normally used on snowmobiles for ice/grass racing.

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the studs from Woody's and studded them myself.
Are you running tubes or do they hold air for long enough to go without them? I tried using some silicone sealant on the ones in my ice tires but they leaked so I put tubes in them. I didn't let the silicone dry before mounting the tires and airing them up so that was probably part of the problem.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I bought the studs from Woody's and studded them myself.
Are you running tubes or do they hold air for long enough to go without them? I tried using some silicone sealant on the ones in my ice tires but they leaked so I put tubes in them. I didn't let the silicone dry before mounting the tires and airing them up so that was probably part of the problem.
I also run the studs from woodies. NO Tube. Greg and I have the only studs where we race. Most drill and use bolts with lock nuts. These carbid tips don't wear out. I have a whole season on mine and no wear just dirty. I am tearing one out of a tire though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
yes, mine do not have tubes, been that way for couple years now. One tire will stay up for months, while the other will be flat in two weeks. I have a new set I just did, they have been up for a week so far.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
how many studs you run in a tire Greg and what length?

I looked into them but there were so many different lengths and styles:(..... even thought about having twyztid make me up a set.

For the very little use I'd get out of them and I already have stacks of tires, just figured I would use something I already have

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Snowmobile stud sizes are listed as the track size number they would be used for. A 1.00" snowmobile stud is actually 1.44" long. That is what I have in my ice tires (shown in one of the previous posts) and they protrude past the tread by about 5/8". The tread on those tires is about 1/2" deep.

The number of studs would somewhat depend on what would make a good pattern but I am guessing that for a 25" tire, you would probably want 30-50 per tire. It doesn't really matter how sharp they are as long as they aren't too blunt of a tip. The CAN be sharpened, if necessary.

I am supposed to be picking up about 100 used carbide-tipped studs from one guy and possibly 200 from another over the next couple of days. Enough to do probably 3-4 sets of tires at a very minimal cost for studs. Buying new ones is a killer. You can easily have as much as $2/ea once you add the cost of the backers as well.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
looks like you got a 100 in each of those tires :huh: lol

then do you go with a flatter profile tire, so where you are getting more even and deeper penetration across the width of the tire versus a more rounded profile????

Then do you want a taller diameter tire or shorter....in 300' you aren't looking for top end but faster acceleration. I could see where going with a bigger diameter with the traction the studs afford you, you could actually hurt yourself on the acceleration

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also run the studs from woodies. NO Tube. Greg and I have the only studs where we race. Most drill and use bolts with lock nuts. These carbid tips don't wear out. I have a whole season on mine and no wear just dirty. I am tearing one out of a tire though.
What size tires are you guys using? 25x12-9? That seems like a pretty common size for KFX700's for dirt drags but maybe not so much for the Brutes/Prairies.

How do you think these tires would work for dirt drags studded like shown? I would be removing all of the areas that I grayed out (and maybe a little more rubber on the sidewalls). They are 25x12-9 tires.

I have also thought about studding a set of 25x12-9 Turf Tamers with the pattern shown below and maybe even removing the excess knobs like the tires in the photo below it. I am not sure what width wheel those are mounted on. They look pretty wide. Might have been custom made.

·
Premium Member
23,814 Posts
I think ice would be different than hard pack. Would seem that on dirt they are going to dig a lot more than on ice.........needing less or more/bigger or smaller tires :confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
10,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, the pattern I showed on the Trail Claw tires would be about 40 studs/tire. They could be done with 30/tire if there were only 1 installed in the middle instead of 2.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.