Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Prairie 360. I had idle issues, so I bought an aftermarket carb to use temporarily until the rebuild kit comes.

The new carb is strange. Starts instantly, and idles smoothly, but unless the choke is on, it dies instantly when you hit the throttle. If you leave the choke on, it revs pretty good, but not fully. But it dies at idle, unless you turn the choke off, or keep hitting the throttle.

I don't know the fundamentals of this carb. The idle circuit seems perfect. It will idle all day, unless you hit the gas. It seems to be the high speed circuit needs to be adjusted. Which adjustment would fix this issue? Pilot Jet?
Thanks.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The china replacement carbs are a crap shoot. To save me typing a pages long tutorial you'd be best to google something like "how does a CV carb work". Basically its the idle screw, the pilot at low throttle, more throttle and the slide starts to open and the needle comes into play, then at full throttle the needle is 100% out of the "jet holder" as its referred to sometimes or emulsion tube where the main jet is at the bottom and that main jet is delivering the fuel.
If you having to use the choke to get it to run past idle something is causing it to run way to lean. Could be a particle of metal or dirt in the main jet or a plugged passage, ect, ect. hate to say it but taking it apart and having a look inside, or returning it if they will may be the only two options. I will add I installed a Amazon special from "zoom zoom parts" on a 04 360 prairie and it worked perfect.

·
Super Moderator
5,695 Posts
Along with what Qtown said the Keihin CV-K CV carbs were designed to operate under reduced atmospheric pressure..as in a slight vacuum as the flow increases. This is done by the inlet for the airbox causing a slight restriction which cuts noise to satisfy EPA requirements. Not sure the 360 has one of these but it's likely. They get around the flooding by cutting the main jet size. "If".. one was to try and use one without the airbox with that restriction, one would have to go up 6-8 main jet sizes but it still won't run 100% right because of how the air jets are designed. Replacing that carb with a standard design would raise some .. possibly unknown challenges...especially if using the stock air box. Yours however acts more like a supply problem..possibly internally like Qtown says. Main jet plugged or wrong, float level too low, CV slide not working correctly...ect. Maybe even an issue with getting fuel from the tank itself. I would start there and work down.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Okay, so Pilot at low speed, and then the needle starts to lift, no acceleration pump or anything in between.

Thanks, Qtown, that's what I needed to know!
Some carbs are "pumper carbs" as their called but not the OEM 360 carb. You should be able to download a manual on line. i found one for my 700 at manualslib or something like that. The carbs are pretty basic, typically 2 turns out on the idle mix screw, some dabble with the jetting but if its stock Id leave it alone. If you start doing exhaust and K&N filters and the like have fun experimenting for your particular altitude or riding. Be aware the jet kits and china jet numbering system is generally no where close to Kawi sizing regardless of what number is stamped on them. Make sure your petcock fuel screen is clear as well. IIRC the float level is basically done by flipping the carb over and aligning the float seam with the body of the carb which should have the needle closing off the fuel supply at that point. Again, a manual would be in your benefit.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Qtown and NMKAWIERIDER,
Thank you for the more detailed information. I really appreciate you sharing!

The stock airbox is on and sealed. The petcock and fuel line has been checked and fuel flows freely. I did not check anything on the replacement carb, just slapped it on, but I am planning to use a 90* screwdriver to open up the pilot maybe 1/4 turn and see what that does. I'm also going to double check the intake boot holding on the carb. Maybe it's slightly out of line or has a crack or is losing vacuum for some reason.

The rebuild kit just came for my OEM carb. Once I rebuild and reinstall that, if the machine runs right, I will play with the aftermarket one and see if I can figure out what's going on with it. If the OEM carb acts funny too, then I will know there is something else going on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Every chinese carb I have put on had the wrong jets inside. Had to take them out of the old carb. New carb was always too small.

Re check the float level on the chinese carb. If it is too low it will suck air through the fuel bowl and act like a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Every chinese carb I have put on had the wrong jets inside. Had to take them out of the old carb. New carb was always too small.

Re check the float level on the chinese carb. If it is too low it will suck air through the fuel bowl and act like a vacuum leak.
Now THAT sounds exactly like the issues the machine is having. I need to get back on this machine before the snow comes and I need the plow!

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts