Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to flood the forum with dumb questions lately but I got my quad running today and its dumping coolant on the ground. Its coming from the little nipple off the bottom of the water pump. appears that it should have a hose on it but I can't remember it having one. What do you all think?

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
there's usually a little 1" hose on there that goes to a little plastic canister that has another little 1" hose coming off the other side. If you have coolant coming out of that nipple then it sounds like it's time to replace your mechanical waterpump seal. There's a couple threads on here how to do it, it's not too bad of a job.

Here's one:
http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-brute-force-prairie-bayou/75276-replacing-mechanical-seal-water-pump.html
Definitely need to replace the mechanical water pump seal.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am running 36mm carbs from a Honda street bike so there is no coolant going to the carbs. As long as I've owned the quad there hasn't been anything coming off the bottom of the water pump. Am I missing that part theand should I buy a new one? I'll dig into the water pump seal and see what I find. Odd because its all just got a few hours of riding on it but that few hours has been two years go.

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Yes, there is normally a small plastic canister-like thing with some short pieces of black tube on that nipple on the bottom of the water pump. I think it is mainly to be able to see when it is leaking and the mechanical seal needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I'm on it. Thanks a million guys! It will be great to get out and ride again, been way too long!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would this cause water to get into the oil? Just got a 2007 Brute 750 a couple days ago. It had water pouring out of the hose and plastic canister thingy on the bottom of the water pump. Plugged it with some hose and a bolt, just to be able to take it for a quick test ride. Got back and noticed that there was water in the oil. Really don't want to have to replace the head gaskets, if there's a chance it could be the water pump seal. It was also slinging oil up and out of the crankcase vent tube as well btw.

·
Super Moderator
4,424 Posts
Would this cause water to get into the oil? Just got a 2007 Brute 750 a couple days ago. It had water pouring out of the hose and plastic canister thingy on the bottom of the water pump. Plugged it with some hose and a bolt, just to be able to take it for a quick test ride. Got back and noticed that there was water in the oil. Really don't want to have to replace the head gaskets, if there's a chance it could be the water pump seal. It was also slinging oil up and out of the crankcase vent tube as well btw.
YES! DO NOT plug that hose. That is the weep relief tube. When the machanical seal of the water pump fails, which yours has, the coolant must be allowed to leave from behind the seal. If not it will just be pushed past the shaft's oil seal on the other side and right into the engine. When that coolant mixes with the oil and pumped through the rod bearings, it damages them. The engine is then living on borrowed time. So get that seal replaced. Get both seals replaced and the shaft bearing for good measure. There is now likely a full rebuild in your near future. How long will be determined by the extent of the damage..but it is coming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts