Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2017 Pro Fxt and was told by the dealer that driving my mule at max speed for over 10-15 min would cause excessive belt wear and may cause the belt to over heat and break. And Not just at max speed, but actually any speed that's constant for a prolonged period of time.

Has anyone heard this?

What's the longest anyone has driven their mule at max, 45 without slowing down?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Driving at a constant speed for any amount of time will build up heat causing belt wear to come sooner then later. I've drove mine for about 20 minutes at a time in the 40 mph range. Basically from the house to where I hunt and I ended up cooking a belt. Had to replace it. I did this probably 20 times back and forth with the first belt and now vary my speed and the belt seems to be doing good. No excessive wear. I'm considering adding a belt temp guage just to keep an eye on things

This is not just a mule problem. Any belt driven machine will have this issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jmarco, are you still using the OEM belt or have you switched to one of the Gates ones? Do the Gates kevlar or carbon fiber belts suffer from the same heat buildup issues as the OEM belts??

·
Registered
212 Posts
I drive mine from one place to another checking cattle. It's about 13min at 45mph. I haven't had an issue yet.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The second belt I replaced was with a kawasaki one. The gates carbon and Kevlar were not available yet. Since then I bought a gates carbon which I have in my tool box. Once I need to replace that will be the one that goes on. So for now I have no experience with it just yet on the mule. On my rangers all I ran was gates belts and had good luck with them. The factory Polaris belts for some reason would not last in my ranger. After switching over to the gates I had zero issues

·
Registered
11 Posts
The second belt I replaced was with a kawasaki one. The gates carbon and Kevlar were not available yet. Since then I bought a gates carbon which I have in my tool box. Once I need to replace that will be the one that goes on. So for now I have no experience with it just yet on the mule. On my rangers all I ran was gates belts and had good luck with them. The factory Polaris belts for some reason would not last in my ranger. After switching over to the gates I had zero issues
Thanks for the reply. This is the first time I've heard about heat issues with the belts and was just curious. I'm hoping it'll be a long while before I have to worry about it since I just bought a new 2016 FX. Yep, my dealer had one leftover from somewhere. Deal was good and wife and I love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts