Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a dynatek cdi box for my 2005 brute force 650 sra. Will this cdi box make a significant difference in my machine? Looking to get some feedback. Pros? Cons? Do i have to re-jet? Recommendations?

I have a k&n and penland eco system full exhaust.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am looking into getting a dynatek cdi box for my 2005 brute force 650 sra. Will this cdi box make a significant difference in my machine? Looking to get some feedback. Pros? Cons? Do i have to re-jet? Recommendations?

I have a k&n and penland eco system full exhaust.
Yes sir, the CDI will make a BIG difference. Probably one of the best mods you can do for the money!! It's like night and day. You won't be disappointed. And yes you will have to rejet it. If you get the Dynojet kit, I think it takes 150's but not positive. Mine has 150's I know for sure. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ive never heard of having to rejet just with the cdi but it makes a HUGE difference but it also i think has some of the problems to do with my bikes eletrical problems right now, same with my buddy but were both also runnin 750s

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would suggest the programmable one. There is a significant difference in just the factory settings on it over the basic one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just recently installed a HMF utility,KNN and re-jetted...I am wanting to buy the CDI when I get some more extra money....The Dynatek makes that much of a difference? Is it really that noticeable? Does the unit just plug into the stock place under the seat?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just recently installed a HMF utility,KNN and re-jetted...I am wanting to buy the CDI when I get some more extra money....The Dynatek makes that much of a difference? Is it really that noticeable? Does the unit just plug into the stock place under the seat?
YES !!!! It makes ALOT of difference. Dollar for dollar it is the BEST mod you can do to it. And yes most of them just plug in and replace the stock one. It changes the whole timing curve throughout the power band.

·
Registered
164 Posts
ive never heard of having to rejet just with the cdi but it makes a HUGE difference but it also i think has some of the problems to do with my bikes eletrical problems right now, same with my buddy but were both also runnin 750s
Since he already has a pipe on it and gonna add a CDI it will need rejetting for sure.When I put my CDI on I didn't have to rejet but when I added the pipe it had to be done. It ran like crap. I took mine to a dyno and had it tuned though..

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So let me get this clarified. As is, I have a full HMF exhaust system on my bike with a K & N air filter. I have re-jeted my bike for this setup. 145-front 148-rear per HMF recommendation (Bike runs great). If i plug in a DYNATEK CDI BOX WILL I HAVE TO RE-JET????

I am getting mixed answers???? I appreciate all of the good input by the way, thank you.

·
Registered
346 Posts
you shouldnt have to rejet... youll just have to burn premium fuel because it advances your timing... Doesnt affect the air/fuel mixture

·
Registered
281 Posts
i second what the last person said, i have hmf and k&n i could run any fuel fine, now with the cdi if i run anything under shells v-power it runs like crap and backfire horribly and its just bad, besides ive always ran vpower just because the extra power and cleaness of the fuel

·
Registered
281 Posts
yes sir, thats it order it, when it comes in disconnect you negative - battery wire and take loose your old one and put in this and hook wires up and reconect battery and pull wheelies like no other, on a scale 1-5 on instalation it would be a .5 super easy! You get an awesome amount of bang for your buck!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just so you know fellas... for those of you that dont... I you have a CDI box that advances your timing, and requires you burn premium fuel... you can detonate your cylinders if you run cheap fuel. You can cause harm to your bike. Just make sure if your CDI is set to the premium fuel setting... you MUST run premium fuel!

·
Registered
25 Posts
How will you know if it is set to premium fuel or reg 87? Just because it says Improved Timing Curves?

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are settings on the programmer. Should be some instructions that come with it to tell you what setting it is on. If you dont get the instructions you should be able to research it online. My friend has one of the programmable ones. I want one because I ran his for a weekend after he crashed and I liked it. Could tell a noticable difference over the basic version. Its all about the timing

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my dynatek CDI box today, just put it on...took all of about 3mins...started my quad just fine, revved it up just fine...I read the instruction sheet it came with, no where on it did it say anything about octane? I didn't get any backfiring or popping, so should I be fine with just the reg 87?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you get the programmable one? Is there an extra wire bundle coming off the cdi or is it just the plug ins? The prog. version has a wire bundle with a set of switches on it. Sounds like you have the basic version and you should be fine running 87 octane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 Brute Force 750i and I have SilverBacks and I lost some power and I want it back can you guys help me out with what to install?I want to be able to spin the tires with ease and I want to do wheelies real quick...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts