Kawasaki ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a non programmable CDI a few weeks ago and have only driven the kawi for plowing snow since. Since it has been SOOOOO cold in minnesota lately I have let the kawi warm up for a good 15 minutes before driving, but while letting it idle to warm up i have found that the wheeler gets hot and the fan runs. The wheeler hardly ever gets that warm even when riding it hard during the warmer months. And the fan has never ran just from idling til i put the Dynatek in! Curious as to if anyone else has had the same thing happen or if i am just overreacting!

Wheeler is a 07 650 brute carbed
with full hmf utility and jetted

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
its been nasty cold here is southern illinois also. i got my dynatek put on my o8 650 a few weeks ago also. i havent really noticed the fan running more often. all though, i let it idle in the shed tonight for about 20 min and when i went out to shut it off the fan was running then. it is very possible for the four wheelers to be running a little bit warmer with the ignition timing being advanced by the dynatek. my advice, dont pay any attention to it unless it gets to where the fan is wanting to run all the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had my Dynatek in for like 6 months, can't recall exactly how it acted in the summer/fall, but in the cold once its warm, if I let it sit there and idle the fan will come on a lot. Like when it was 15deg. here. I think its fairly normal.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I did notice that my 2006 carbed brute force ran hotter with a dynatek.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not a big deal.

I installed a non programmable CDI a few weeks ago and have only driven the kawi for plowing snow since. Since it has been SOOOOO cold in minnesota lately I have let the kawi warm up for a good 15 minutes before driving, but while letting it idle to warm up i have found that the wheeler gets hot and the fan runs. The wheeler hardly ever gets that warm even when riding it hard during the warmer months. And the fan has never ran just from idling til i put the Dynatek in! Curious as to if anyone else has had the same thing happen or if i am just overreacting!

Wheeler is a 07 650 brute carbed
with full hmf utility and jetted
Mine does the exact same thing when plowing snow; you're working the quad hard when plowing and not moving fast enough to push a decent volume of air thru the rad. This is why it heats up. Everyone I know who uses a quad for plowing snow has their's heat up as well. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing when plowing snow; you're working the quad hard when plowing and not moving fast enough to push a decent volume of air thru the rad. This is why it heats up. Everyone I know who uses a quad for plowing snow has their's heat up as well. Don't worry about it.
Read that first post again. read slow if you have to ;). He didn't say anything about while pushing snow. He said it will come on when it's just sitting there at an idle.

Unless your dummy temp light is coming on I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
the fan on my prairie will come on if i let it sit for a good 15 minutes too, it will do it without the dynatek also. i wouldn't worry about it unless the hot light comes on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
my 05 carb bike runs alot hotter with cdi, i dont worry about it until my water starts boiling out of the overflow... when idling the bikes sit there and radiate their own heat, so fan kicks on to run fresh air through the radiator...nothing to worry about

1 - 8 of 8 Posts