Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i recently learned i can pick one of these- Dynatek | ATV | Dyna FS Motorcycle Ignitions System ( may not be the Exact one , but it looks identical to the one in their catalog.) -up at my local dealer for my 2002 prairie 650 4X4. its 320 something dollars . my only skepticism is , will i need to rejet anything ? . id rather not . i dont have any of the necessary tools or know how to do so . secondly its " Programmable " will i have to buy the programming kit with it as well ? or does it come with various pre tunes? . thirdly while im writing this i thought , is it easy to install ? i've heard it is . is there any wire splicing and soldering i would need to do ? or is it all plug in ?. also whats the difference between the CDI by dyna and the CDI module ( say by moose ) . i've seen it listed as separate mods . . i know its alot but any help would be greatly appreciated .

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
95% of the people have the non-programmable unit. Unless you have access to a dyno, you won't see any advantage to having a programmable unit.
You may have to add a shim to the needles and open the pilot screws some with a new ignition.

·
Super Moderator
9,446 Posts
I had both the non-programmable DYNA and the programmable DYNA. If you have nitrous, I recommend using the programmable one so you can remove some of the timing when you spray. If you don't have nitrous, I don't think you will see any benefits from the programmable one. I tried adjusting the programmable DYNA to get better 300' track times when I was not spraying. For my quad (Prairie 700 with FST 800 kit), the best 300' times I got were usually using the same timing as the non-programmable one.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I think the Opp is asking if he could program the Dyna instead of rejetting ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the Opp is asking if he could program the Dyna instead of rejetting ?
the only reason im getting the programmable one is because it the only one i can get new locally . as long as i can plug it in and it'll work the same as the non programmable without the programming kit, ill be happy .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had both the non-programmable DYNA and the programmable DYNA. If you have nitrous, I recommend using the programmable one so you can remove some of the timing when you spray. If you don't have nitrous, I don't think you will see any benefits from the programmable one. I tried adjusting the programmable DYNA to get better 300' track times when I was not spraying. For my quad (Prairie 700 with FST 800 kit), the best 300' times I got were usually using the same timing as the non-programmable one.
Are dyna's reliable ? i've heard they have left a few people stranded before . and i travel in pretty remote places . and wouldn't wanna be let down .

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The programmable is only made for 03 and up,02 650 has a 2 plug cdi and they don't make one for it,they only make a non programmable dyna for the 02 650 prairie

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes dyna cdi units are very reliable here, get a non programmable one.

This one looks good. Its the non programmable 3 plug one since i see you have that one on another thread. Someone swapped your original wiring harness out for a 03 and up version.

Dynatek CDI Ignition Kawasaki Prairie 650 700 Dyna 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 | eBay
yeah thats what i thought in regards to the wire harness . the only i can get locally for the 03 and up is the progammable one . unless the 03 700 dyna will work. i mean the 650 and the 700 ARE the same part number . so the non programmable 700 should work right ?

·
Super Moderator
12,553 Posts
The 700 is the same.
Just carry your OEM ignition with you if you're worried about reliability.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts