Kawasaki ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide whether or not a snorkel is needed. WILL NOT be mudding at all. 99percent of the trails here are hard-pack and maybe surface mud. I want to protect against "splash" injestion......hate the look of the snorkel but will if you guys think it's necessary. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first post. I'm mainly a trail rider also. probably 90% trail 10% mud and lots of creeks and puddles. I don't have a problem with water or mud in airbox at any speed. I have a cut up inner tube wraped around the front and sides of the airbox to keep out mud and water. check out nyrocatv.com under the brute force section and you'll see some pictures and more information of what i'm talking about. easy mod if you don't want to snorkle.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I have the EHS lid, not the snorkel one, and I mudbog hard some times. I haven't had anyproblems with mud/water in the airbox. If it has rained alot before I ride and I know that we will be in lots of water, I block off the front of the airbox intake, having the EHS lid still lets in plenty of air.

It's loud...sometimes annoyingly loud.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the EHS lid, not the snorkel one, and I mudbog hard some times. I haven't had anyproblems with mud/water in the airbox. If it has rained alot before I ride and I know that we will be in lots of water, I block off the front of the airbox intake, having the EHS lid still lets in plenty of air.

It's loud...sometimes annoyingly loud.
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds for my type of riding the EHS lid makes sense. Any pics of the blocked off air box stock opening?

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
sorry no pics, I just use 100mph duct tape(aluminum foil tape) though and then tear it off when I don't need it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry no pics, I just use 100mph duct tape(aluminum foil tape) though and then tear it off when I don't need it.
Seems to me that the airbox design leaves a little to be desired, since {from reading here other sources} the main reason for most of the rod bearing failures is from water injestion. This sounds like it should be one of the first mods { to snorkel or EHS} anyone should consider before even riding one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts